This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

HC dying after growing really well (Cyanobacteria growing)

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Dongo, May 14, 2013.

1. Dongo

Dongo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:14 PM
    Hello,

I am having a problem with my HC dying. I started using the dry start method (mainly to get it rooted). After I flooded the tank everything was going great for about 1.5 months. The HC and DHG grew to carpet the entire area with lush growth. There was a problem with brown slime algae (diatoms I believe) but nothing major.

However after that the growth just seemed to stop on the HC. I also started getting green water and cyanobacteria. The DHG is still growing and looks great. The HC is slowly melting away.

I don't have any fish in the tank. I started the filter on my established 30gal for one month. I tested for ammonia but didn't find any. I tried a black out but it didn't help with the cyanobacteria (maybe it was not a complete enough blackout). I reduced my light intensity to combat the GW and cyanobacteria. I also tried upping the EI dosing. The HC is still dying.

My tank parameters/set up are as follows:

- Standard 10gal
    - Two 20W GE 6500k spiral CF mounted vertically ~6" from the top of the water in desk lamps (I started with two 26W GE 6500k spiral CF before reducing to 20Weach to help with algae)
    - 8hour photoperiod
    - Eheim 2211 filter
    - Iwaki pump running Cerges style CO2 reactor (~250gph)
    - ~25C temp
    - EI dosing (10.9ppm NO3 + 4.25ppm PO4 + 12.6ppm K + 0.16 Fe (through Plantex CSM+B) 3x per week with 50% water change at the end of the week) Using this calculator: http://calc.petalphile.com/
    - Dosing was less before I increased it (doubled)
    - Tahitian moon sand substrate with osmocote plus at the bottom

I would like to try and save it before it all dies out. It had formed a really nice carpet. Any help to get that back would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

2. thegasman

thegasman Subscriber

Local Time:
    HC needs to be trimmed regularly to remain healthy. I understand how you are injecting co2, but what is your co2 level? That's a lot of ferts, but I don't think this is the issue. Green water indicates that maybe you had an ammonia spike and or a co2 issue that you may not have detected. I'd try the blackout again, but be sure it is a true blackout for 3 days.

#2 thegasman, May 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2013
  3. Dongo

Dongo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I trimmed the HC once when it was growing well. It bounced back just fine.

I don't know what the CO2 level is. I just turned it up high in the start (as I have no fish in the tank). I assumed since the HC grew really well for the first ~1.5 months that it was high enough. When it stopped growing, I increased the CO2 but it appears to have done nothing.

Daniel

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Seems like you could have ran out of Ferts, N specifically.
    BGA+ no/low growth= low NO3/absent.
    HC will respond 1st, hair grass can handle low N for a long time.

But you might think back and see if you did something there. Godo water changes and keeping things clean and running well etc, once the tank has grown in is another issue.
    Ferts/CO2 are needed more, as well as general tending, filter cleaning etc.

5. PatFox

PatFox Junior Poster

Local Time:
    you need to inject some good pesticides on them so that they may remain safe for longer duration

6. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Is this a serious recommendation? I am not sure using a pesticide is the right way to go.

Nor will it be of any use in this case...

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Likely meant to say Antibiotics, EM etc.

Can be used, but does not fix the root issue.

So..that still needs addressed.

8. Dongo

Dongo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I clean the filter twice a month. I also clean inside the tank every time I do a water change. Perhaps the filter needs to be cleaned more?

To my knowledge I never intentionally changed anything as both plants were doing really well.

The only thing I can think of is that when I first flooded the tank, I used the water from my 30gal EI dosed tank when it was due for a water change. It might have meant I started with high ferts and as I did water changes they slowly dropped off to insufficient levels.

I assume it is best to increase one at a time (CO2 or Ferts) to see which is the cause, or should I increase both at the same time?

Thanks,

Daniel

9. PatFox

PatFox Junior Poster

Local Time:
    You need to trim it regularly for better growth and shape of it

10. thegasman

thegasman Subscriber

Local Time:
    Yup. Makes all the difference with HC. May look ugly at first, but then, wow, you have a very nice carpet!

11. Dongo

Dongo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I did trim it when it was growing well. It bounced back just fine. I don't think that was the problem.

Daniel