HC carpeting DSM w inert clay/soil : Fert mist prior, during, or not?

Williak

Junior Poster
Jul 20, 2012
Auburn, AL
About to be starting up a DSM w some HC in my new 55.

I've read probably 100+ threads, including Tom's length DSM article, and many other articles on dry starting with HC, but I wanted to ask this one question as I didn't see it mentioned more than once or twice... Perhaps someone will have had experience with this.

My substrates are an organic soil bottom layer, and then a ground fired clay top layer... I know the top layer will be very iron rich, but I doubt that the HC stems will be in contact with the soil when first planted, especially toward the back of the tank where the clay substrate layer is much deeper. I'm concerned they might not get adequate root fertilization since there could be a few inches between the soil and the HC roots in the back slope area...

Should I begin misting the substrate with some fertilized water a few days before I plant the HC, as to build up some nutrients closer to the surface?

Or, should I just plan to alternate mistings of the HC with ferted water and nonferted water.... Maybe mist with ferted water in the mornings when lights come on and then mist again at night with nonferted water?

Or, something entirely different? :p

Also, I see 50% people recommending misting 2x DAILY..... and then alot recommending 2-3x WEEKLY..... is it just whatever you feel is appropriate to keep the plants moist, without creating excess water on top of the substrate?

Would love some feedback on this.