Hazy water post fert.?

AmirM

Prolific Poster
Sep 26, 2007
Israel
Hello
Can anyone think of a reason why the water in the tank will turn very hazy/milky one day after 50% WC? I separate the macros from the micros+Fe to different days.
Is it possible that there are too much nutrients that eventually react together?
The tank is one month old...
Thank you
Amir
________
Sativa strains

Last edited by a moderator:

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
My only experience with this was when my tank was a few weeks old, a bacterial bloom caused it. It lasted a week and then went away.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
You can check for a cyanobacteria bloom by holding a very white dish down in the water and looking at the color of the cloudiness against the dish. If it is greenish it is cyanobacteria. I haven't tried this, but several people have recommended it on other forums.

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
I've never had a cyanobacteria bloom in the water (lots of experience with bga on the plants though!). Well at least whatever I had that turned the tank cloudy, went away on it's own. It did take a good week though.

AmirM

Prolific Poster
Sep 26, 2007
Israel
Thanks. I will try the white dish test ... I'm gathering many things I need to do over this weekend :) I think the water is getting slowly clearer, the only change I made was 8 hours of light for 3 days now. Hoping for the best :)
________
Handjob xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Just to correct our errors a bit - green water is not a cyanobacteria, as far as I know, but the regular kind of algae, only free floating.