Having some problems still.

Elkmor

Junior Poster
Jun 3, 2005
0.2ppm of boron is dangerous to most of stem plants causing to new leaves curving and death of meristem.

In most of countries 2-3ppm of boron is ok for drinking water. According to a lots of data in the internet, only 50% of boron removed by reverse osmosis system. (The OMNIPOLE system converts normal tap water into 100)

Deionization system is not very effective at boron removal because boron's ion is low-charged.

"Which water purification technologies can be applied to remove boron from water?
Boron naturally occurs mainly as boric acid and as boric acid salts. Boric acid can be removed by ion exchangers, but very slowly, because of its resemblance to silicate."
(Boron (B) and water)

Peyton

Junior Poster
Jul 2, 2006
Milton, WV
Ok it's been a few months here's what happened so far. I purchased a larger powerhead. Went from a maxi-jet 600 (160gph) to a maxi-jet 1200 (295 gph). That seemed to helped P stellatus 'Broad Leaf' a lot. The downside is that my tank is a swirling vortex and some plants are constantly sideways from the current. I also purchased a couple maxi-jet 900s (230 gph) so I might switch the 1200 out for a 900.

However I still think the biggest problem was the timing of my water changes. Most of the time I did them halfway or more through the lighting cycle and almost every time I would get the deficentcy to show. Now I do them at least two hours before lights on giving the co2 levels plenty of time to reach 30ppm then. I haven't seen the deficentcy since.

I also have been misting co2 with the MJ 1200 and personally I hate it. The tank looks cloudy from all the co2 bubbles so I might switch back to the gravel vac diffusor. If I do this I'll power it with the 1200 and use the old 600 for water movement.

I've also been thinking of plumbing the co2 line into the intake of the HOT magnum. Either way will work good I think.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Elkmor;29378 said:
0.2ppm of boron is dangerous to most of stem plants causing to new leaves curving and death of meristem.

In aquatic plants or in crops like Tomatos or Corn?
I've never seen any cases on aquatic plants, nor found any ever, I'm not saying it's not possible, just very unlikely.
Copper is another, but once I found such a case, so it does occur here and there.

KH seems to cause much more frequent havoc.

Low CO2 etc........

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Elkmor;29378 said:

I have the full paper:
SpringerLink - Journal Article

1-5ppm of B is pretty high and there are many sites with these levels and aquatic plants, no issues are noted, this is from 2007 and specific to B and aquatic plants.

I think it'd be a tough argument to make that B is stunting the leaves without a specific careful test thta also addresses the basics such as consistent CO2 and NO3.

These things, rather than Ca or B are typically what stunts a tip.
I've never seen any issues with high Ca or B and I dose pretty juicy most every thing.

But I do see the stunted tips often with many species, these mentioned here........with poor CO2. Progressively smaller tips are classic sign of lowered CO2, as well as stunting in many/most species.

Some species fragment and rot in places, depends on light a bit also.
It is generally very tough to show it's one thing like a trace nutrient.
But if it realy is that....then we shoud easily be able to test it, ?como no?

Copper has dramatic impacts on plants, kills them great at high levels, and acts as nutrient t lower levels, a lot's been published on various aquatic weed tolerances, but some like Crypts are pretty tolerant.

Others will die.

So a case by case issue is need for each species.
Hard to say otherwise, we have 300 species+ and no research or reason to test them other than few frustrated hobbyists:p

So unless someone really cares enough or gets a lot of $, not going to happen.

What we can do however, is look at the folks that have gone nutrients with traces or various nutrients, and have done so and still succeeded growing these species very well without issues.

These observations easily falsify the theory/theories. As long as we know we have been adding a lot of the compnent that is claimed to cause the issue, and have no negetaive results, then it's fairly safe to dispute such claims.

We as aquarist make lots of other dosing and general care issues/mistake, and CO2 is a huge issue.

Regards,
Tom Barr