Have My Tetras Spawned?

C

csmith

I walked past my tank today and noticed this mass of what looks like eggs floating across the top. It's a huge bundle. I've got ramshorn snails, pond snails, amano shrimp and snowball shrimp in this tank along with my black neons. I watched the snails lay eggs on the glass so I know they don't just release into the water like this. Could these be tetra eggs?

This is only a small section of the larger groups, I can't really get a picture of the larger group because it's just spinning around in the flow.

Eggs.jpg

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Not Likely Black Neon Tetras...

Hi,

These should not be I am assuming Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, Tetra eggs end up on the bottom, they attempt to stick them to plants but the eggs are not all that sticky, they are egg scatterers. :)

Not sure what they would be. :eek:

Get a tub or jar or something and but the eggs and a bunch of aquarium water going, aerate the water, keep it reasonably warm, 75F (24C) and see what turns up. :gw

Step up your green water and infusorians culture. Should they be tetras they will hatch in a day you probably will not see them for 3-5 days. :cool:

Biollante

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Just Curious

Hi,

I cannot think what those eggs would be; they really do not look like any of the usual suspect insect eggs. :confused:

They rather remind me of “frog spawn” common enough in an outdoor pond I suppose, just unlikely to come hopping through your house in the middle of the night. :)

I vote for getting a package of those Glad disposable sandwich containers and in addition to the container that is will aerated set up four or six with varying conditions. :rolleyes:

That really is curious.

Biollante

C

csmith

Funny enough, when I had my dwarf frogs that's exactly what their eggs looked like. Haven't had those in months, though. I'm not really sure what they were, but I know for a fact next time I'll have to move quicker. Within ten minutes of posting about it I went back to pull what I could but they were all gone. Guess the tetras ate them.
There aren't much in the way of insects I see commonly here. Flies, spiders and wasps (Coloradans would have you call them yellow jackets) are about it. I've seen a swarm of dragon flies once, but I think that was a fluke as it was near absolutely no water source.
I'll definately pull them next time to see what comes out. Thanks guys.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
It Is Magic

Hi,

I suppose it could be Anisoptera (dragonflies) or Zygoptera (damselflies), the eggs did not seem familiar, but with 5000 plus species, I suppose… :confused:

Dragonflies and damselflies are good guys. :)

Keep an eye out for little critters in your tank. While eggs of any sort tend to be treated as free Grand-Slam days at Denny’s, some of these eggs hatch very quickly and the larval stages can be very small, taking days or even weeks to reach a size we are likely to notice. They are probably providing your fish with a real treat.

In a tropical tank environment, if any survive, the larval stage could be as little as 60 days that is assuming of course they are or were dragonfly eggs.

• In trying to identify eggs, clear pictures help of course, but noting presents of jelly.
  • Is it a single layer or multiple layers?
  • How they are laying in the water?
  • Are the sticky or slippery?
  • When you look at the egg are there any eyes looking back?
  • If you can lay or float a millimeter rule along side in the photograph.

Definitely grab at least few in a container. Be aware that if they “disappear” that may just mean they have hatched and are too small for the unaided eye to spot. Just because you cannot see them does not mean they are not hungry.

I love stuff like this… :cool:

Biollante

herns

Guru Class Expert
Jul 29, 2007
The United States of America
csmith;54489 said:
I walked past my tank today and noticed this mass of what looks like eggs floating across the top. It's a huge bundle. I've got ramshorn snails, pond snails, amano shrimp and snowball shrimp in this tank along with my black neons. I watched the snails lay eggs on the glass so I know they don't just release into the water like this. Could these be tetra eggs?

This is only a small section of the larger groups, I can't really get a picture of the larger group because it's just spinning around in the flow.

Eggs.jpg

Thats a great looking plants you have in there.