Harvesting Seeds From Erios

Chad

Oct 3, 2017
Seaside, Oregon
I started some erio polaris from seeds a few months ago. I had great germination rate and zero losses while transferring the plants into an aquarium. I left some of the plants in my humidity chamber and they have started to flower. I would love to harvest the seeds and go full-circle with this plant but I am not sure on how to continue. The flower started about a week ago, I attacked the bulb of the plant with the tip of a screw to try and germinate the seeds. The only resource I could find was here: https://eriocaulon.com/text22.html

I am going to wait a day and snip the bulb. I really don't know what I should be doing but I will keep you guys posted on the results.

This is the info I could find:

ince the beginning of flowering the flower must be pollinated with a soft brush. In nature Eriocaulons are pollinated by insects. Crawling on the upper surface of the head and thrusting its proboscis into the flower. It is not known which promotes pollination Eriocaulons flowers at home - insects or an artificial procedures of pollination with a brush, but noted that if not carried out additional manipulations with a brush, the seeds obtained are a few times less.

After about 2 more weeks a box with seeds is produced. It is necessary to wait until the flower spikes begin to dry up. This is a sign that it is possible to harvest. After removing all the heads with seeds, plants, or rather what was left of them, can be returned to the aquarium. It is not the fact that the plants will have the strength to return to its previous form. In most cases the plant just dies.

Any help would be awesome.

It seems like maybe I am too late to harvest the seeds? Also some of the plants in the aquarium are starting to send flower stalks up. Anywho, here are some pics.

Big flower and a small guy coming up in the back right.
8G35saq.jpg

Under water flower starting
tKXnlwV.jpg

got tubs?
68kgVKm.jpg

Early erio hainian island preview
YYAsFGZ.jpg

cdaJiv

Oct 3, 2017
Douglasville
Hey Chad, great post as well as photos...

I’ve been seeing a few of my Eriocaulon Polaris’ send stalks up, around 6 on one and 4 on another. I have also read the article on https://eriocaulon.com/text22.html; you seem to know about erios, this part has me questioning...

not all types of eriocaulon have the opportunity to produce seeds if there is only one plant. It is clear that for getting seeds of some types of eriocaulons need a few plants. And to have available several flowering plants of one species is problematic..

Can I pollinate the flowers of the Eriocaulon Polaris with other flowers from the same plant, or does it need to be from a seperate one?

Chad

Oct 3, 2017
Seaside, Oregon
Warning, I'm walking in to this blind.

I think the flower is both male and female. the pedals are male and the seeds female?

Male and female flowers are nearly always (except for a few species Eriocaulons) are located in the same head, the male flowers often hold a peripheral portion of the head.

Bugs pollinate the plant just by humping it. We can pollinate the plants with a paint brush by just jabbing it.

In nature Eriocaulons are pollinated by insects. Crawling on the upper surface of the head and thrusting its proboscis into the flower.

I think we need to wait for the plants to have more flower stalks. 4-5 or so according to the site, again not exactly sure.

If you have decided to getting the seeds to do, you must start when available will be 5-6 stems. You must remove the plant from the tank and transferred to humid location.

Really hard to say. I have been plucking the stems from the erios that are under water. Leaving the stems in my emersed tub.

Thanks for the post cdaJiv, I will keep you updated.

Chad

Oct 3, 2017
Seaside, Oregon
I submerged about 30 plants once they got the size of a pea and left another 10 or so emersed. They both seem to be doing fine. The under water plants do grow a little faster though.