This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Harvesting Seeds From Erios

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Species' started by Chad, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Chad

Chad Member

Local Time:
    10:34 AM
    I started some erio polaris from seeds a few months ago. I had great germination rate and zero losses while transferring the plants into an aquarium. I left some of the plants in my humidity chamber and they have started to flower. I would love to harvest the seeds and go full-circle with this plant but I am not sure on how to continue. The flower started about a week ago, I attacked the bulb of the plant with the tip of a screw to try and germinate the seeds. The only resource I could find was here: https://eriocaulon.com/text22.html

I am going to wait a day and snip the bulb. I really don't know what I should be doing but I will keep you guys posted on the results.

This is the info I could find:

Any help would be awesome.

It seems like maybe I am too late to harvest the seeds? Also some of the plants in the aquarium are starting to send flower stalks up. Anywho, here are some pics.

Big flower and a small guy coming up in the back right.
    [​IMG]

Under water flower starting
    [​IMG]
    got tubs?
    [​IMG]
    Early erio hainian island preview
    [​IMG]

cdaJiv and Phishless like this.
  2. cdaJiv

cdaJiv Member

Local Time:
    12:34 PM
    Hey Chad, great post as well as photos...

I’ve been seeing a few of my Eriocaulon Polaris’ send stalks up, around 6 on one and 4 on another. I have also read the article on https://eriocaulon.com/text22.html; you seem to know about erios, this part has me questioning...

Can I pollinate the flowers of the Eriocaulon Polaris with other flowers from the same plant, or does it need to be from a seperate one?

3. Chad

Chad Member

Local Time:
    Warning, I'm walking in to this blind.

I think the flower is both male and female. the pedals are male and the seeds female?

Bugs pollinate the plant just by humping it. We can pollinate the plants with a paint brush by just jabbing it.

I think we need to wait for the plants to have more flower stalks. 4-5 or so according to the site, again not exactly sure.

Really hard to say. I have been plucking the stems from the erios that are under water. Leaving the stems in my emersed tub.

Thanks for the post cdaJiv, I will keep you updated.

4. cdaJiv

cdaJiv Member

Local Time:
    12:34 PM
    Ok I have my Eriocaulon Polaris completely emersed which has been working wonderfully, yours is partially submerged?

5. Chad

Chad Member

Local Time:
    I submerged about 30 plants once they got the size of a pea and left another 10 or so emersed. They both seem to be doing fine. The under water plants do grow a little faster though.