Hardscape Inspiration

dapellegrini

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 17, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I am planning on completely redoing my 72g in the coming weeks and am looking for some inspiration for the hardscape. I particularly like the use of rocks and/or wood to create varying levels of depth in the aquarium...

So I am wondering if anyone here can point me to some good hardscape inspirational type photos on the web.

Thanks!

Dan

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
ADA appears to be the best source there on line.

Branchy wood, lots of character stones(generally darker).

Regarding rocks, heck, you have plenty of desert rock formations to chose and mimic. You should also find plenty of Juniper and other hard desert wood out in the deserts there also, Manzy? Maybe not, it's mainly a CA tree/weed.

Regards,
Tom Barr

dapellegrini

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 17, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
So I can use Juniper branches in the tank? Any other wood suggests for local collection? Rocks are in ample supply here... Just looking for some good pictures... I have looked through ADA's Euro site... Is there an american site?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Heck, you live in the middle of a bunch of desert rock formations.
There are ample models of naturl rock formations to chose from.

Most dense desert wood is excellent for aquariums, soak well, do regular large water changes, they work.

Plenty at the higher elevations in the mountains there as well as other harder dense woods.

Stay away from Cresote bushes(Larrea) obviously:)

Regards,
Tom Barr

shane

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2006
Go and get "The Style of ADA" catalog if you can. It has some step-by-step pictures on how to create varoius hardscapes, plant layout, etc.