This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hair Algae in New Tank

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by TLe041, Mar 14, 2011.

1. TLe041

TLe041 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:01 PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm nervous about a hair algae outbreak that's plaguing my new tank. It's been undergoing a dry start for about 3 months and has just been filled with water for about 2 weeks. Here's what it looks like:

[​IMG]

There's a fine layer of it on top of the UG carpet and Ohko stones. The water itself is perfectly clear.

Here are the tank specs:

Tank: ADA Min-M (approx. 5.5 gallons)
    Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia I
    Flora: Utricularia graminifolia carpet
    Fauna: 6 celestial pearl danios, 2 amano shrimps
    Lighting: ADA Solar Mini-M 27W on for 9 hours a day with a 3 hour break in between
    Pressurized CO2 at 30 ppm (between 1-2 bubbles per second)
    Fertilizer: 1 squirt of Pfertz NPK+Micro every 3-4 days and Rootmedic tabs in substrate.

Water parameters tested using API Freshwater Master Test Kit:

Temp: 72F
    pH: 6.2
    Ammonia / nitrate / nitrite: 0
    gH: 1
    kH: 4

Currently I'm dosing 0.8mL Seachem Excel daily but it doesn't seem to be helping. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to help reduce this algae problem?

Thank you in advance!

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Do you dose KNO3, KH2PO4? What are the values? Hair algae is caused by a CO2 shortage. By using less light you reduce CO2 demand, so I'd cut down to half of what you have now, or raise the light substantially, like 10 inch. The 3 hour brake is useless unless it prevents you looking at a dark tank at night.

Aggressive waterchanges, like every day 50%, can help remove algae spores.

For the rest you need patience and a lot of manual removal.

regards,
    dutchy

3. pat w

pat w Member

Local Time:
    What Dutchy said - Plus - get a toothbrush to twirl the stuff around and comb out what plants you can. Get some Hornwort to float till it's gone ... it'll help. You can toss it when the tank clears. Hunker down for a long siege till the tank matures. I was at war with an outbreak of Rhizo in a new tank for what seemed like forever and then it just seemed to go away. Patience and Diligence.

Pat

4. TLe041

TLe041 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for the replies dutchy and pat.

This is what the tank looks after a water change and a little elbow grease with a tube cleaner.

[​IMG]

I removed about 90% of the visible hair algae from the UG and stones. I'm quite happy with the tank right now. I'll keep doing this every couple of days until I get the nutrients all balanced out.

5. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I like the tank, but maybe you should think about a nice white or blue background.

regards,
    dutchy