Hair Algae :: How to remove?

joyban

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 18, 2005
New Delhi, India
Hi, arround a month back, I have started a 4x2x2 tank with 2 150watt MH.
Details are,

Peat+Laterite Base topped with River Sand
2x150watt 8000K HM (Started with 6 Hrs and increased it to 9 hrs per day)
2217 for Filteration
Pressurized CO2 (Started with 3BPS, Drop checker showing me Dark Green Color)
EI Dosing (KNO3, K2SO4, HK2PO4 For Macro. Along with Micro I have started dosing Iron too)
Weekly 70% water change

But suddenly within week the tank is full of Hair Algae. It's brown In color and covered the glosso bed completely.

I assumed, too much of Blue Spectrum along with heavy Iron dosing is one of the reason. So I changed the Bulbs to 4200K and 6500K. Stopped dosing Extra Iron. As the tank is fishless, I am planning to increase the CO2 to 5BPS.

I have excel but didn't dose as I saw HM burns out on Excel Overdose. Will post a picture shortly.

Please help me to remove this menace.

Thanks in advance.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

How far away are the MH from the water surface? 10-12 inches is a good start as they are strong lights.

Have you cleaned your filters recently? Could they be dirty?

Your issue may be c02, as a dark green color is not as good as light green or yellowish. Are you using a 4 or 5 degree kh solution in your checker?

http://www.barrreport.com/articles/...2-indicators-why-how.html?highlight=test+kits

Since you have no fish (yet) try increasing your rate some and monitor the plants.

5 bps doesn't sound like a lot for a tank of you size. Is it 180 gals?

Also, a 70% wc is a lot. You should dose more to make up for that.

I have excel but didn't dose as I saw HM burns out on Excel Overdose.

What do you mean by this? What is HM?

I use excel but only the recommended amount and only on the WC day.

Here is an algae link that is very helpful:

Aquarium Algae ID (updated 16th Spet '08)

Also, a larger tank needs a stronger current/flow to distribute c02 and other nutrients around the tank. Do you have an extra powerhead to help with this?

I have the same size tank as yours (4x2x2 180 gals) and I use two extra Koralia IV models when the c02 is on to provide more current and flow.

Hope this helps.

joyban

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 18, 2005
New Delhi, India
Thanks for the reply.

Gerryd;31643 said:
Hi,

How far away are the MH from the water surface? 10-12 inches is a good start as they are strong lights.

MH are installed 1 feet away from the water surface.

Gerryd;31643 said:
Hi,
Have you cleaned your filters recently? Could they be dirty?

I am using a brand new 2217, and I cleaned it 1 week before. So there is no chance they will be dirty.

Gerryd;31643 said:
Your issue may be c02, as a dark green color is not as good as light green or yellowish. Are you using a 4 or 5 degree kh solution in your checker?

http://www.barrreport.com/articles/...2-indicators-why-how.html?highlight=test+kits

I am using my tank water only for the kH solution. This is 11 DKH (I know it is too high).

Gerryd;31643 said:
Since you have no fish (yet) try increasing your rate some and monitor the plants.

5 bps doesn't sound like a lot for a tank of you size. Is it 180 gals?

I increased the CO2 to 5BPS. Now it Drop checker turned into Lemmon Yellow now. But this is a killer amount for any fishes. I just put one angel just to see the result and it started gasping immidiately.

Gerryd;31643 said:
What is HM?

I meant hemianthus micranthemoides.

I will increase the water current. Tomorrow I will install another power head to increase the circulation.

adrideh

Junior Poster
Aug 11, 2008
Jakarta, Indonesia, Indonesia
i have hair algae too, but unfotunately, it's on my christmass moss.
any clue how to remove or kill them?..i really want to treat them with flourish excel, but i'm afraid it may kill my shrimp.

well, not just hair algae but staghorn algae too
algae22Januari2009.jpg

pH : 6,7 - 7 ; GH : 3 ; KH : 2

help please..:(