Growing pogostemon helferi emersed :: inputs please

tirtha1979

Prolific Poster
Jul 10, 2007
Hyderabad, India
After a long hunt and waiting of couple of years, finally I received 2 healthy stems of P. Helferi today. They have grown submerged. But I don't have any tank running at this moment so put them into my immersed setup.

That tank running with diffused Sunlight from window and I am using used Aquasoil as substrate. In the same setup I have staurogyne Tropica growing good. I am misting the plants once everynight and the tank is covered with clear sheet.

At any cost I don't want to loose these helferies. Please let me know if I need to take any extra caution or any special care to grow them emeresed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Terrariums are basic things. Most plants will adapt, they have a lot of this plant at AFA in SF growing this way.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You can use misters and then less and less to transition the plants.

Most will melt and then resprout from the stumps and then be easy to grow.

chopsticks

Prolific Poster
Jan 20, 2011
Costa Rica
I have a bunch of them in a DS tank, they went from submersed to terrarium in one step 28 days ago, no issues so far, new leaves are a bit different in the emersed form, though.

Hey Tom, do you think it will be a good idea to prune them back to the old submersed leaves before flooding the tank?

Cheers,

Juan

tirtha1979

Prolific Poster
Jul 10, 2007
Hyderabad, India
Tom Barr;68124 said:
You can use misters and then less and less to transition the plants.

Most will melt and then resprout from the stumps and then be easy to grow.

As of now I am misting once or twice every day and the tank is covered. Slowly I will stop misting when they will start to show the immersed growth but will keep the cover remain on top. I think it will be taking a long time to acclimatize to a fully natural weather.

chopsticks;68136 said:
I have a bunch of them in a DS tank, they went from submersed to terrarium in one step 28 days ago, no issues so far, new leaves are a bit different in the emersed form, though.

Hey Tom, do you think it will be a good idea to prune them back to the old submersed leaves before flooding the tank?

Cheers,

Juan

Thats a mental boost for me for sure. Will wait to see the first growth. :)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
chopsticks;68136 said:

Cheers,

Juan

Not sure, I'd keep some emergent plants in case they all melt.

I've never done a DSM with dowoni.

chopsticks

Prolific Poster
Jan 20, 2011
Costa Rica
Tom Barr;68252 said:
Not sure, I'd keep some emergent plants in case they all melt.

I've never done a DSM with dowoni.

Thanks, I'll try to replant the tops on a plastic container or something before flooding the tank