This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Growing peppers indoors - Carolina Reaper Chili

Discussion in 'Off Topic and Chat' started by Kyalgae, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:31 AM
    I just finished this little setup for my pepper plant, thought someone else might get a kick out of it. I used to grow a lot of peppers indoors over the winter and I figured I’d give it a shot again this year. I also wanted another place to document it’s progress. We had a terrible summer, very wet, and I have yet to harvest a single pepper from this plant. All the current foliage was grown indoors by a sunny window.

-The light is 30cm from the plant
    -The soil mix if 50% homemade compost with added peat/vermiculite, and 50% regular potting soil.
    -old cpu power supply running a larger Antec case fan for a light breeze
    -14 hour photoperiod

Now I wait...

1LPQ8qD.jpg
    DAESzEK.jpg

#1 Kyalgae, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Allwissend and Phishless like this.
  2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Awesome! I am going after purple habaneros for the upcoming Spring.
    Accent shrubs for the yard, they can get quite large.

3. Nubster12

Nubster12 New Member

Local Time:
    Overwintering my first pepper plant ever. A Butch T scorpion plant. I chopped it down to almost nothing and it's coming back with some nice leaves. Not as nice as yours though. But I chopped it to literally almost nothing left. Hoping it will be decently strong for me in the spring when it's time to go back outside.

#3 Nubster12, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  4. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    When I used to bring my plants indoors, they always had aphids. Outside the plants seemed fine, but once they were inside aphids try to take over. I used to use that aphid soap, it was a real pain though, if you miss a single aphid, they’ll be back. This year I wrapped the plant in a garbage bag and filled the thing with CO2, I figured I would get rid of them that way, and sure enough it worked. You have to elastic the bag pretty tight, but it’s much better than spraying the plants for a week.

I don’t really cut the branches much, but after a couple years of bringing them indoors they get quite the tree trunk-like stem.

5. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    6:31 AM
    Hihihi. Planning to start my own pepper colony. Nice use of an extra aquarium light. I wonder what would happen if you put it under something and inject some CO2 .... extra chilli ?

6. Nubster12

Nubster12 New Member

Local Time:

Great....had to say something didn't ya? Now my pepper has aphids....lol....stopped for some insecticide soap and gave it a good spray. Guess I'll see how that works. Guess if it doesn't after a few treatments I can figure out a way to gas it real good.

7. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Haha, yea, grab yourself a rubber glove and use your fingers to coat all the leaves and the stems as you spray, they hide everywhere, it was the only way I was able to rid of the bugs when I used the soap.

8. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You’re going to get faster growth rates, they sell tents for just that purpose I think. You’re going to get fast chili.

9. kingkong

kingkong Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:31 AM
    are you using aquarium dose fertilizers?

10. Nubster12

Nubster12 New Member

Local Time:
    I am. Thrive. Just one dose so far. I'll just watch the growth and how the leaves are doing and go from there. After a good soaping...looks like a knocked off all the bugs and plant is really doing well. Just under room lights right now in the kitchen. By the time growing season is here I should have a good 2 month head start on what I'd normally get starting seeds in March and planting outside end of May.

11. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Just using compost only. I really wouldn't know what a correct dose would be for land plants....how does soil pH play into effect here. I wanted to see how good my compost was, so this is sort of a test.

12. Nubster12

Nubster12 New Member

Local Time:
    I'm just winging it. I did one pump...which is enough for 5 gallons in an aquarium....to a pitcher of water which was like 1 gallon I think. Heavily watered the pepper and let it drain well in the sink. Seems like it liked the ferts as not long after that it really started growing much better than it had up to that point.