Growing Hygrophila Pinnatifida In Between And Above Crypts?

rs18alpha

Subscriber
Feb 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have a few crypts in a corner of a tank. The crypts are planted in between rocks that are pilled up. I want to get a more vertical look in the corner.
So my question is, if I plant a couple stems of the Pinnatifida in between the Crypts how would the Crypts do once the Pinnatifida gets taller and starts to block some of the light?
I could keep the Pinnatifidas from getting to busy by trimming them from time to time.
I had a few Crypts that did well in a pretty shady area in an old tank before.

What do you think??

Thanks everybody!!

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
What kind of crypts do you have ?

Individual stems of H. pinnatifida do not give a lot of shade. The problem is they produce runners which may be hard to get out without disturbing the crypts. Through aggressive maintenance it should be doable. You can grow H. pinnatifida directly on the rocks so you can keep a better eye on it.

a1matt

Prolific Poster
Jan 30, 2006
I'm pondering the same situation as 2 weeks ago I planted Lilaeopsis Macloviana inbetween my crypts to gain some height.

I considered three aspects; light competition, root competition and reduced flow (leading to accumulation of detritus).

I know my tank well enough that I am confident any shading will still be above the light compensation point for the crypts.

I'm guessing I'll be OK on the other points, time will tell.

If I had co2 on the tank I'd have full confidence on all points. (I'm slow running... 30w t8 over 50gal, no co2, 5x turnover.)

I hope some of my thought process helps you.

Zeus

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Oct 20, 2016
Yorkshire,U.K.
I have a few crypts that are completly shaded by trident and they are fine, growth slow OFC but fine otherwise

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

rs18alpha

Subscriber
Feb 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
What about crypt balansae crispatula? I know these get pretty tall. Can they be trimmed?
These would look great for what I have in mind.

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
I am interested in acquiring some H. pinnatifida. I read the profile that it’s an unusual epiphytes for a stem plant, which work great for me as I avoid substrate plants for my cichlid tank. How easy will it anchor on rock and will it do well in medium light.

Zeus

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Oct 20, 2016
Yorkshire,U.K.
What about crypt balansae crispatula? I know these get pretty tall. Can they be trimmed?
These would look great for what I have in mind.
Got some C Balansae with others crypts and trident growing under them too. The C Balansae is well over 100cm long in places, never tried trimming it yet. Does tend to pop up new runners at distance

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
By removing larger leaves you could keep it low for a while but in the end the plant will still grow big and need replacement by a smaller individual.

I did not have great performance from c. crispatula when it was mixed with other crypts. When it had enough space around it, it did a lot better.

When the roots of H. Pinnatifida grow and anchor the plant to the rock it is a pretty good grip, but can't imagine putting them before that in a tank with cichlids. They survive in lower light non CO2.