Growing Glosso in Low Light

DGalt

Prolific Poster
May 22, 2009
I have a 15 gallon low light tank (2x 13W CFL spiral light bulbs). Currently all that's growing in there are some various mosses and a few anubias petite plants.

I'm going to be replacing my current substrate (Schultz Aquatic Soil) with ADA aquasoil, so I thought this might be a good time to try a new ground cover.

I have a pressurized CO2 system. I'm not currently dosing ferts since the moss / anubias don't seem to need it, but I'm sure that'll change with the glosso.

What my concern is how to get glosso to grow properly (i.e. spread out into a ground cover) in lower light conditions. I know several people have said it can be done, but that's pretty much the only information I can find. Is it simply trimming the plantlets when they try to grow vertical? Or is there more to it than that?

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
My glosso grows vertically even in high light. I have absolutely no clue why. So far it's just been a matter of trimming and re-planting.

-Philosophos

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I've seen it do very low and fine in low light.
It's a fairly low light plant overall.

Regards,
Tom Barr

layout420

Junior Poster
Mar 17, 2009
I am kind of doing an experiment on this right now on a 5.5 gallon tank. ADA aquasoil with some special power sand as well. I have a 2x18 watt CFL over half of the tank and then a T5 fixture with 36 watts over the other half. 6 hour lighting periods. The T5 has been raised like 6-8 inches off the tank to really give it that low wattage effect. The CFL fixture is right on the glass so at times the light is an inch or less from the water surface. The low light side receives very light from the CFL's. So far I am right on track with the hypothesis that the high intensity side will grow faster and have more compact growth with many runners while the other low light side will continue to grow but at a much lower rate and become more elongated as it grows. One thing I will have to report is that on my low light side there is not really a single stem of glosso that is sending off runners. It is just growing tall and when it gets trimmed it will grow from where it gets trimmed. Every 10 or so will send off a runner but it will grow tall and will not grow like typical glosso is said to grow. Truthfully I could not see growing glosso with low light because its very frustrating to trim and replant the trimmings weekly while you can increase the lighting and only have to replant trimmings a few times and natural growth will take care of the rest. Also you might want to get some P, N, K, Fe, trace, Excel. I would recommend it or you are going to be taking a big risk. I used the estimative index with all seachem products. I started the tank with 2 pots of glosso and did not dose for like 3 weeks and I had so much deficiency so I started to dose and instantly the glosso flourished. It's been like 7-8 months now and without dosing I would have no glosso left. Also about 2 months ago I started to use the liquid drops from ADA, they are great. I use all 4 available once per week with water changes and honestly my water has never been more clear and my glosso has never looked as green. Hope this helps.

DGalt

Prolific Poster
May 22, 2009
Tom Barr;37084 said:
I've seen it do very low and fine in low light.
It's a fairly low light plant overall.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Do you have any suggestions on how to make that happen though?