This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Growing Downoi Attached to Driftwood

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Crispino Ramos, May 6, 2011.

1. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos Guru Class Expert

Has anybody successfully grown downoi by having it attached to a driftwood? If so, how do you attach it to a driftwood? Do you cover the roots and lower stem with a soft material before it's anchored to the wood?

2. Robert H

Robert H Junior Poster

I have never heard of anyone doing that, but I would like to know how that ends up working for you! As I am sure you know it is not the type of plant one would normally try to use for that purpose. It will always be a battle to keep the plant from growing verfticle, (if you are trying to get it to grow horizontal) without its roots reaching the substrate.

3. Hallen

Hallen Guru Class Expert

I've seen it been done before, imho it doesnt look good on driftwood. Rocks are a more natural look. Yup just like you said, you mostly tie up the roots and a part of the stem with thread or a tie-rip. Make sure to feed it lot's of ferts and Co2, if this plant is low on nutrients or overshadowed it'll grow upwards or die. In it's natural habitat it hardly has any competetion for nutrients so it's not much of a competer to fast growing stemplants.

4. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos Guru Class Expert

I have 3 stems growing attached to a vertical driftwood. I trim the surrounding leaves that would otherwise cast a shadow on them. I want the roots to grow vertical along the driftwood and reach the substrate - the roots have started doing that process.

5. chopsticks

chopsticks Prolific Poster

I think this plant on its natural environment grows attached to rocks and on soil.

6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

i've seen a vid of it growing on rocks around and in fast moving streams.

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Plenty of plants grow on other things than soil.......but these are often nutrient rich streams and runners.........which are still getting some ferts from the soil and translocating them.

I think it's best grown in ADA AS etc.....does quite well.

8. Hallen

Hallen Guru Class Expert

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Just because you see something in nature does not imply that is the best for horticulture.
    Farmers do not grow crops based on natural ecology.

Keep this in mind.

10. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Tom, are you opposed to the idea of growing it attached to rocks or driftwood?

I don't know if I, personally, would like the look of it, but surely it is worth a try.