Growing Annubias Emmersed

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
I have a 75 gallon tank with 3 or 4 annubia plants that are outgrowing the 75. I want to keep these plants for my 180 that I will (eventually) set up. But with my time restraints and schedule, it will be some time before I've completed the 180. Therefore, I've been thinking about basically growing these large plants in a pot till I can transfer them into the 180!
Here's where I need some help. Can this be done? What would be the requirements to accomplish this? Regular potting soil, substrate, water level like a house plant, or to the substrate level? Fert and lighting requirements?
A rather odd post, but then......
Thx in advance. :D :D :D

Walter

Pale Rider

Junior Poster
Dec 28, 2008
I'm starting mine emmersed at the moment and they are doing great. I'd say worst case you'd have to stick them in a terrarium for a lid if their leaves are sensitive to low humidity. I don't know the answer to that question, but I'm sure someone on here does.

Chris

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Thx for the response. I have the annubias in a 15 gallon tank, with a 20 watt light I run for 2 hours daily. I use a potting soil substrate, with fertilizer added. I plan to later mix a bit of clay with the substrate, and turn it into a heavy watery mix. I, too, am a bit concerned with the lack of humidity, the leaves are a bit dry, but nothing appears to be going belly up as of yet. Let me know how yours are doing, maybe we can compare notes.

Walter :D :D :D

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Treat them just like you would a terrarium plant.
See the Dry start method, same type of thing.......they will grow better than ever.

Regards,
Tom Barr