This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Grey algae??

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by quenton, Oct 5, 2006.

1. quenton

quenton Guru Class Expert

My 65g tank (EI, CO2) has been find for months -- sort of. When I was on vacation in the summer (9 days) algae, thread and BBA mostly, got out of control and I have been fighting to hold it in check until I get a few days in a row when I want to move the fish to a bare 30g I have, and do a complete rebuild of the tank.

HOWEVER, this morning (in a period of about 6 hours), it developed what I first thought was grey water. On closer inspection, the sides of the tank (inside the glass) were coated in what I looked like tiny threads of grey. May not have been threads, scraping brought off small sheets of grey material -- and before that some of this material was floating in the water. My filter (a bio-wheel with those flat rectangular cartridges) had a huge buildup on it, was very heavy when I removed it, just replaced it 5 days ago. I replaced the filter.

Not sure what this is, any thoughts for me?? Fish look happy enough. No testing done yet, will do a bit -- ammonia, nitrite -- don't expect to find anything though.

edit: DID find something -- Nitrite is off the scale. Ammonia is 0, ph is 6.4 (normal for me), nitrate is 40 -- so everything is fine except the nitrite. I found my biowheel was not turning, but it was wet -- I think it go heavy with the load of grey matter -- I rinsed it in tank water and its turning again, I don't think this was the cause. I don't see any fish missing.

2. quenton

quenton Guru Class Expert

This was NOT algae -- some kind of bacterial bloom.

I changed 75% of the water this morning, by the time I got home from work I had lost 4 bala sharks, 4 shrimp (so far) and 3 head and tail lights.

In desparation, I will move the rest through 2 baths into my 30g tank for
    now.

I will build my 65g from scratch -- the 30g should be OK for now -- may add
    some extra air.