This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Greetings!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Spacebeez, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Spacebeez

Spacebeez New Member

Local Time:
    5:51 PM
    Hey all,

I have been in the planted tank hobby for a few years now and have definitely read some helpful info on these forums throughout that time. I currently have a Fluval Spec V iwagumi with Blue Velvet Neos, Amanos, and CPD's. I've also got a 10 gal dirted tank with a single immortal cherry shrimp that will be my quarantine for the new high-tech 40B I am in the process of setting up. This will be the highest tech tank I've run so I'm pretty excited.

Will try to post some pictures this evening.

Tim Harrison likes this.
  2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:51 PM
    Hello and welcome, sounds good, look forward to seeing those pics ;)

3. Spacebeez

Spacebeez New Member

Local Time:
    Here are a few of the tanks I've kept over the past couple years:

My first planted tank, 20H with flourite substrate, T6HO's, diy co2, and root tabs. I learned a lot of lessons and made a LOT of mistakes with this tank! This was torn down in a move.
    20150519_190903.jpg

20 Long, this started as a walstad but after tearing down the 20H above I upgraded this to a high tech EI tank. Beamswork LED, dirted substrate capped with blasting sand.

IMG_20160216_201258.jpg

The current tank I've been working on is this Fluval Spec V "Iwagumi". I'd always wanted to keep CPD's and HC, but I let it overgrow a bit too much. ADA aquasoil, fluval planted + 24/7, EI ferts, and DIY Co2. 63D09ADB-E067-40E3-BC29-0AA1B33914E0.jpg

My newest project is this 40B which I should be planted on Saturday. I'm going fully high-tech on this with a Co2Art regulator and an auto-doser for EI.

I've also tended to always gravitate towards primarily stem plants in my previous tanks, but this will be almost entirely swords, crypts, and aponogetons with anubias, buce, and java ferns on the manzanita. Should be fun! I'm going for a jungle tank style that will probably house cardinal tetras, lambchop rasboras, and various cleanup crew.

65E0221A-CC4F-4A6B-9FB5-5BE9416B9E28.jpg .

20150519_190903.jpg

63D09ADB-E067-40E3-BC29-0AA1B33914E0.jpg

65E0221A-CC4F-4A6B-9FB5-5BE9416B9E28.jpg

#3 Spacebeez, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Tim Harrison likes this.
  4. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    12:51 AM
    Hi Spacebeez. New tank, new forum... life is but a dream.

I'm interested in that immortal cherry shrimp --- it never died huh ?

Speaking of photos... you uploaded them as I was writing. The 20H is my favorite, simple design yet effective.

For the new tank, if going into full high tech you might want to add a few /a bunch of stems at the start and not just the rosette/ rhizome plants.

Regards,
    Mihai

5. Spacebeez

Spacebeez New Member

Local Time:
    My original plan for my Spec V was for Cherry Shrimp rather than the Blue Velvet's I have in there now. This was my first tank using ADA aquasoil, and also my first nano-tank. I didn't think I added my shrimp too early, but in retrospect that is probably what happened. Over the course of about two weeks I lost all of my RCS except for one big, bright red female. Easily the best looking one of the bunch. She never looked like there was any problem. She lived in there alone for about another month until I was 100% confident everything was in line and I ordered the blue velvets. The blue's however took quite a liking to my big red female, and pretty soon she was cranking out wild-type neo's like crazy. I knew I would need a QT tank going forward so I picked up a 10G at petco and set up a little walstad tank. After that was cycled I chucked the red cherry in there and spent about the next month siphoning wild types out of my spec V with a turkey baster. That tank ran for about 3-4 months with no maintenance. No water changes, no cleaning, no heater, no food, just a sponge filter. I didn't see the RCS for months and just kind of assumed she was gone. About a week ago I did a water change to start getting that tank ready for my QT and she waltzed right out to the front, even bigger than before and looking totally happy!

I've since decided she deserves a good life so I'm going to get her some more RCS friends and move her into the 40B when that is up and running.

Allwissend likes this.
  6. Spacebeez

Spacebeez New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks! It sucked having to tear down but really taught me a lot. I think I made every beginner mistake possible with that tank.

For sure, I've got a decent amount of water wisteria growing in the aforementioned 10G walstad and some cabomba on the way for exactly this purpose. I'll be throwing some dwarf water lettuce on top as well.