This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Greetings!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Craig, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Craig

Craig New Member

Hello everybody. My name is Craig and I am just getting into the whole planted tank world. I ended up starting this adventure like I begin many. By accident. I purchased a Fluval Spec V nano tank for my desk at work to house a betta fish. Mid way through the purchase phase I was told I could not have a fish afterall. So bringing it home I set about making a fantastic habitat for my betta. Once I was through the fishless cycle and was ready for inhabitants I read more and more about plants and getting started with a planted tank. I admit to being 'wowed' by the awesome expert level tanks I see. A few hundred dollars later and I have moved to a paint ball C02 setup, light and CO2 automation and have the betta and ~5-10 amano shrimp. I say 5-10 because the betta is a stone cold killer. He is hunting and killing even my largest amano.

So I am taking the time to get comfortable with plants, algae and invertebrates. On my journey this far I have killed many plants, learned lots about algae and its control and of course EI dosing. While this is my first post I have been lurking like crazy thus far! My next task is getting a vacation auto dosing pump up and running.

I look forward to learning and getting started with more advanced methods and plants and when I am ready moving on to a bigger 30-50 gallon tank in the future.

My setup thus far:
    Fluval Spec V 5 gallon tank
    Green Leaf Aquarium regulator for paintball tank
    Finnex Planted Plus 16" light
    1 betta fish
    5-10 Amano Shrimp
    4 Assasin Snails
    Various starter plants

Thank you!
    Craig

DutchMuch likes this.
  2. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Hey Craig welcome to the forum!
    Glad you joined and lurked for information gathering, I suggest (as I do, to, officially everyone now..) you make a journal in the Journal section of the forum to document your tanks process, this is a great idea seeing as your quite new to this, then you can look back later on in the hobby life and be like, "why did I do that? why did I do this? WHAT WAS I THINKING???"
    lol!
    Anyway welcome to the forum and I hope you make yourself at home here, your tank sounds nice :) I also had a spec V running for quite some time, it was a makeshift Dutch aquascaped tank. Loved it. Unfortunately I had to dismantle it because it got, well I don't know, but when I was on vacation and I came back, Everything had melted. So im doing something else with it now, but I cant say what because im keeping it secret from the forum for now.

Welcome Welcome!
    Nate

Mike k likes this.