This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Greetings from Greenville SC

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tankhead, Oct 29, 2017.

1. tankhead

tankhead New Member

Local Time:
    12:25 PM
    Hello!

Although I've been fish keeping for a number of years, I've recently decided to convert to a planted tank. I've done some research, and my hope is to establish a low tech, low maintenance ecosystem that will benefit my fish and me too. I’m blown away by many of the gorgeous tanks I see! As a beginner, I’m doing by best not to be overly ambitious ;)

My tank:
    56 gallon tall 31x18x24 ~7 yrs old

Eheim 2217 filter
    Fluval Aquasky LED, new, getting a timer
    Marineland programmable LED, white/blue
    No substrate currently, removed river rocks and adding Eco Complete at planting (in a week or 2)
    Air pump with air stone bubbler

2 bunches wisteria, anchored until planted
    1 narrow leaf java fern mat 3x3
    2 coconut husk tunnels with java ferns attached
    2 anchored floating java moss balls
    1 Brazilian pennywort, potted til planting
    2 microswords, potted til planting
    Algae!

1 koi angelfish
    9 albino corys
    2 flame dwarf gouramis
    7 glass catfish
    2 blue mystery snails (will have by planting)

The tank is well established, and my usual issues are watching the pH and keeping nitrates at bay. I change about a third of the water weekly, with some misses because life just gets in the way (this was initially my impetus for going to a planted tank, and I just purchased a python system). My tap water is somewhat variable, currently tending toward acidic, so I use a little aragonite in the filter to boost the pH. I just got gH and kH testing kits, so I'll be checking those parameters and posting.

The plants are mostly new to the tank (2-3 weeks), except for the java fern mat and one of the tunnels. I started dosing with Seachem Flourish weekly when I got the new plants, and all have new growth.

Fishwise, the corys are my favorites with their hilarious antics. They've taken to perching on the floating moss balls :) I do intend for this to be a planted fish tank, so my stock will probably remain at a higher level than I see in many planted tanks.

So that's my set up, and I'll post a photo soon. I'm looking forward to chatting with you!
    tankhead

2. tankhead

tankhead New Member

Local Time:
    12:25 PM
    so disregard, couldn't find my post from yesterday (doh!):oops: