This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Greetings from Greenville SC

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tankhead, Oct 28, 2017.

1. tankhead

tankhead New Member

Local Time:
    11:41 AM
    Hello everyone!

I've just become a member and wanted to introduce myself and my aquariums.

I've been fish keeping for a while now, but as I've learned more about the benefits and beauty! of planted tanks, I've decided to convert to low tech planted.

My tank:

56 gallon tall 31x18x24, ~7 yrs old
    Eheim 2217
    Fluval aquasky 24", getting a timer, had for 2 weeks
    LED with blue/white 24", programmable,
    No substrate at the moment. Removed river rocks recently, preparing to add Eco-Complete in a week or so
    2 bunches of wisteria, floating or anchored until planting, had for a couple of weeks
    1 narrow leave java fern mat 3x3, growing, ~3 months
    2 coconut husk tunnels with java ferns attached, new growth, a few black spots on the older leaves, ~1 month
    2 anchored and floating java moss balls, growing,1 week
    1 Brazilian pennywort, potted until planting, has new leaves, 1 week
    2 microswords, potted until planting, looking somewhat bushier, 3 weeks
    Algae, forever
    I koi angelfish
    2 flame dwarf gourami
    9 albino corys
    6 glass cats
    2 blue mystery snails (planning to add shortly)
    (8 black neon tetras temporarily, moving out to a 15 gallon column in a week or so)

My favorite fish are my ebullient little corys. They're busy bees and have taken to perching atop the floating moss balls :) I know the stocking is on the heavy side (not counting the tetras), but I do weekly water changes, ~ 33%.

I want to start out low tech, so I'm trying to limit the types of plants and keep the scape fairly simple. The wisteria will be background, the java ferns and pennywort midground, and the microwords sort of back foreground and on a slope because the tank is so deep.

I have a greek-ish temple that I'm keeping for now, partly because it's white and reflects light around.

I still have a lot to learn, but I'm hoping I can contribute a little too! Looking forward to talking tanks and plants!

tankhead

View attachment 9418

View attachment 9433

#1 tankhead, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  2. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hello :) I could see you creating some kind of ancient abondoned overgrown look with those ruins. Look forward to seeing the tank with substrate.

3. Leafinaforest

Leafinaforest New Member

Local Time:
    5:41 AM
    Aloha,

I like the look of overgrown ruins. Excited to see pics of the tank k when it's all grown in!

4. tankhead

tankhead New Member

Local Time:
    Overgrown ruins is what I'm going for as my starter planted tank:), partly because I wanted to use some of what I have until I make some headway on the learning curve (lighting, CO2 / O2 balance, ferts, etc.), and partly to see if I can make it work aesthetically.
    I'm leaving the temple about where it is, but partially burying the base in a slope that inclines steeply toward the back right. I don't know if eco-complete as a substrate will provide enough structural support, but the temple is pretty light, so we'll see.
    I'm thinking about getting some vals, possibly jungle so the leaves will grow tall enough to float on the top, but I'm not sure about the scale of it. i got the wisteria because I need fast growing plants, but now i'm not sure how they're going to fit into the theme. Trial and error... I also plan to cover the tunnels with moss or some other plant to hide the coconut. Working on a sketch of a plan.