This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

green water

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by distrbd, Oct 1, 2006.

1. distrbd

distrbd Junior Poster

Hi all.
    This is my first post here.This morning while I was doing the weekly water change (EI fertilization)in my 100 gal FW tank I noticed that the water from the tank which I had in a white bucket had a slight tint of green , this is the first time ever that I have had to deal with green water .I know there are 3-4 way of getting rid of it but since I have a Magnum 350 filter I decided to use the micron filter which I wrapped with some floss pads and put it in my filter .The question I have is:do you think this will do the trick or should I use diatom powder instead of the floss? don't forget that the water had a very light green color.I don't want to spend $250 to buy a UV sterilizer if I don't have to,but I guess that would be the next (easiest )step to take. so will this micron filter work since the water is light green?
    Thank you all for your help.
    KEN.

2. AlgaeMaster

AlgaeMaster Junior Poster

Using the diatom powder will make your tank look like there is no water in it...thats how clear it gets..Maybe you should try to address what is causing the green water...

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Isn't it true that the condition or conditions that start a green water bloom can go away or be corrected, but the GW will still remain until you kill it by either a UV or a blackout? So, unlike many algae, finding what caused it may just be an after the fact guess. All it really takes is a big disturbance of the substrate or a hidden dead fish of some size, etc.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Check ebay for ___much cheaper___ UV's.
    Smaller ones will still work, 9-18 w range.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. distrbd

distrbd Junior Poster

Thank you all for your help ,it looks like the micron filter has done the job !I'll know for sure this Sunday when I do a WC.If it's still there I'll do what Tom recommended :a small UV sterilizer.