This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Green Water...

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by JinxXx0085, Feb 27, 2017.

1. JinxXx0085

JinxXx0085 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:46 AM
    I've been in the hobby for 10 years and for last 1.5 year since moving to MT from CO. I have been struggling with my 90G planted tank. Water around here sucks. I've been using RO/DI to fill up the 90G during water changes. I finally made a headway with the aquaria until this water change 2 weeks ago. I decided that the filter Eheim needed to be cleaned. I did just that and VIOLA... green water AGAIN. What am I missing?

I always rinse all of my biomedia & sponges with tank water... follow EI method... Do I need to change up my filtration system or...? Thanks in advance for any tips :)

2. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Can you give all of your tanks specs and routine so the forum can better help?

BTW, I grow many aquatic plants in CO water :)

3. JinxXx0085

JinxXx0085 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Alrighty... it has been awhile since I've posted anything in forum. Might be a lil rusty LOL.

Specs are as follows...

- 90G

- Eheim 2217

- Pressurized CO2

- LED lighting - Never had PAR measurement done. Can't say much about on that on that part but it does grow plants and algae rather well :p

Livestock...

8 Platies plus bunch of fry. I don't know how many total anymore.

2 Dojo loaches

1 Columbia Pleco

Routine...

WC 1 to 2 times per month

I clean filter every 2 months or so depending on flow

E.I. method for fertilizing

What else shall I share?

Mooner, which part of CO? I've lived in Pueblo and Saguache. I grew plants real well in both places.

4. Mooner

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    What method do you use to inject CO2? Reactor? Is it inlne with the canister?

Have no experience with LED's, still use tubes. I understand these can be intense though and adjustable?

Weekly WC's are common on EI/CO2, higher PAR for sure.

IME, Filter cleaning once a week or two, I use canisters as well, mine wouldn't make it one month.

Heavy or sparsely planted?

Substrate type and age?

What is the goal for your tank? low or high tech?

Pleasure to met you.

#4 Mooner, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017
  5. JinxXx0085

JinxXx0085 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    It is inline with the canister. I drilled a hole in bottom of intake so it sucks up co2 and goes thru the canister.

Actually, I am not too sure how intense these LEDs can be. The one I have has 4 rows of led lighting and I can run anywhere from 1 to 4 rows as desired. I set it up on timer to run for 9 hours per day.

Refresh my mind... what does IME mean? Is it "In My Experience"? I only know if IMO (In My Opinion) ;-) I suppose I oughta look into different canister. I would hate to clean this canister on a weekly basis! It's a pain in the butt.

It is not heavily or sparsely planted. Mostly anubis, wendii, lilies, red melon sword. And others... but they died off.

Substrate... you might get a kick out of this one. It is SafeTSorb it has been in the tank for at least 6 months. Everything cleared up in beginning and almost always get green water everytime I clean the canister. I'm wondering if all of that jazz has released excess nutrients from the substrate somehow..... ummm.....

Goal for my tank at this time is for it to quit having green water LOL. Have plants to grow like jungle to the point where I pull out plants on a monthly basis.... you get the gist yet? ;-)

Pleasure to meet you as well Mooner. I've also lived in Springs majority of my childhood. You can say that I am a Colorado native who got transplanted up here :)

#5 JinxXx0085, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2017
  6. Mooner

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Jinx,

yup, IME=experience.

I run CO2 through a DIY reactor off over sized Eheim canister. I clean the canister weekly w/WC, I rinse the media in temp adjusted tap water. The floss pad is the first thing to clog, media mostly clean. In a pinch I would just change the pad, then everything the following week. The only way I would leave canister longer is if I ran the reactor separate from the canister. You could try weekly WC/canister cleanings(water the trees!). Should shape up nicely. Let us know!

7. JinxXx0085

JinxXx0085 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I suppose I'll give that routine a shot ;-) Just waiting on RO/DI currently. I've got 60 gallon barrel dedicated just for that. I do a large WC monthly/bimonthly... if I am to do weekly WC... I won't do large WC anymore.

Could you direct me to your DIY reactor system? I'm curious what you have. I have seen several systems out there. Seriously considering getting one built. I feel like I need to go back to the basics to get this issue sorted out. I dread my next move in few years LOL.

8. Mooner

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Take a look at this old thread for some ideas.

9. JinxXx0085

JinxXx0085 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks! That was helpful! I've got a game plan outlined. Going to start doing things differently with the 90G. Is it Saturday yet? ;-)

10. tinkerman

tinkerman Subscriber

Local Time:
    I am no expert but I did a wc on my tank and changed bulb and sleeve on uv and ended up with a cloudy tank for a week. Could it be it took to long and your bacteria colony died back some to give the green water the upper hand. I'm not a die hard when it comes to uv's but I keep one on hand for problems like this or ride it out. Best of luck to you.