This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Green Water

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by tbolls, May 29, 2016.

1. tbolls

tbolls Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:14 AM
    HI all, as the heading indicates In having trouble with green water. I have just changed from PMDD to EI dosing and was wondering if this was a common occurrence when you you irst start EI. It's not a new tank, I have been running it for quite a few years now, so it is well and truly cycled. I thought maybe the increase of Nitrates and Phosphate may be the cause.

2. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    9:14 PM
    revert and go back to the way you were. If you weren't seeing deficiencies. Green water should regress, otherwise your gonna have to bust out the UV.

3. tbolls

tbolls Junior Poster

Local Time:
    May have to stick my hand in my pocket and invest in a UV. Seems like it isn't common when changing to EI.

4. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    UV removes the symptom. It does not address the root cause, which is a severe imbalance in fert/light/CO2.

EI by itself does not cause green water. What you're doing when you go from PMDD to EI is switch from fert-limited to CO2 limited.

My suggestion would be to clean filter, light vacuum gravel, and do several large water changes. Check your CO2. You can get away with lower/jumpy CO2 with PMDD. EI will put lack of CO2 optimization on full display. So increase and stabilize CO2. You can lower light for a few days until issue is resolved.

If you were happy with PMDD, you can always go back to it. PMDD is a very good approach. Why did you switch to EI? Possibly for bigger, faster, more? If so, you can still get all that with half or one-third strength EI, which is less soupy.

Just be sure to do big water changes - they are essential with EI. People run into trouble when they change approaches but don't change equipment, maintenance and husbandry practices as well. CO2 and water change routine that work well for PMDD may not for EI. Most people need bigger CO2 reactors and a pH probe when switching to EI from PMDD. Toss the drop checker.

Ultimately, water changes and optimized CO2 is what's going to fix this, not UV.

5. BenFishin

BenFishin Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Im going to have to agree completely with pikez. More often than not issues with any algae is co2 deficiency, dirty filter, lack of water changing. One of those or a combination of those will get rid of any new algae growth.

Most likely you have some plants that are struggling to take off at this point. Doing what pikez said will grow your plants as well as get rid of the green water. Buying a UV will only get rid of green water, plants will still stunt and slow grow.

Moving to EI to me was tough because you have to do your maintenance. But, I was able to grow plants I was never able to before. I made it a point to do water changes every Sunday. And clean filters first of the month.

When life gets busy, and I miss water changes, I remember not to dose too much. EI only works with water changes.

Good of luck with the switch to EI, you'll be amazed with the increase in growth once you get it down.

6. farhad.t

farhad.t Junior Poster

Local Time:
    UV / 3days full dark & destroyed.

7. tbolls

tbolls Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Pikez, I do clean the filter and do large WC's as you suggest. Think the problem may have been as you suggsted, have changed the Sera in tank reactor with a DIY cerges type reactor, which has made a very big difference. Have also realized that my LED light panel has more grunt than I thought it did. Running my light at 60% PAR at my sub is still some where in the 75 - 85 range.

Have blacked out the tank for a few days and will turn the lights down and reduce The EI dosing as well, The new reactor is dissolving the co2 at a rae of knots so that I'll leave. So after the blackout will do a WC and start again and slowly increase lights and ferts if required.

I changed from PMDD to EI because of poor plant growth.

May do a bit of a write up on my LED panel light as I hink they are a pretty good light for a reasonable price. They are made here in Adelaide Aust.