green water in new tank

H

Htomassini

Hello everyone. Thank you all for this great site.

I recently set up a new tank to replace my 90, and I am experiencing green water.
It has pressurised c02, i have a drop checker with 4dk solution, and I have been fertilizing it with liquid ferts until I get my shipment of dry ferts, other than hooking up my uv sterilizer, any other thoughts?
I am doing water changes every 2-3 days, run the lights for only 8 hrs.

Thanks'

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Not Much To Go On

Hi,

I would not sweat a little green water, probably an ammonia spike in a new, unstable tank. Overfeeding, too many critters introduced too quickly. :) You really do not give much information to go on. :eek:

Water changes help, diatomaceous earth filter, wait a couple of weeks, introduce daphnia, obviously UV-sterilizer, reduce stocking, reduce feeding. :)

Green water is your system attempting to even things out. :gw

Biollante

H

Htomassini

its an empty tank. ill give u the specs:
72 x 24 x29
4 x80 ho t5
substrate layered from bottom to top:
flourite
aquariums plants own clay substrate
ecco complete
ADA AS amazonia
quartz gravel
the front is planted with gs so its got AS powder exposed to water

yes the tank has ammonia due to the AS.

I havent finished plumbing it so I am running an eheim 2017 on one end with the drop checker
on the other end I have the co2 diffuser under 2 power heads to distribute the co2 and provide plenty of flow.

dosing with iron, K and brightwell aquatics multi florin. I had added the last of my seachem Nitrogen but ran out. Will buy some tomorrow.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Strange Friends

Hi,

In this case, the green water may be your friend. You do not say whether you have critters in the tank or not. If you are feeding critters, cut the amount of food drastically and go to every other day or every third day feeding. :gw

Clean your filters. :eek:

I am assuming you have plants since you are dosing fertz. :rolleyes:

I recommend adding at least 5ml of Fleet Enema three times a week. During each water change wipe down the glass with a paper towel wetted with Fleet Enema from top of glass to the top of the substrate. :)

This is a good point to add daphnia (as well as other little critters). :cool:

Biollante