Green Thread Algae

Squidhead

New Member
Jan 25, 2020
5
1
3
54
United States
Short Story- I have a stubborn case of Green Thread Algae (GTA) Thought I got rid of it and may have but I found a few small clumps of thread that jumped back. I'm hoping it was just small spores that may have dodged the "treatment" but I would like some thoughts-

Long winded details- And as long winded as this is I'm sure I left out some info- I have recently started back in fishkeeping, about 7 months ago. I have had many sucessful heavy planted tanks and some minor algae issues with those past tanks. Usually just green water and once some BGA that I was able to control relatively easy by adjusting fertilizer and lighting schedule/intensity and not introducing any newly aquired plants without a QT. Also, some Oto's and MTS for cleanup detail. Anyway, everything was going well until July when I went on a 2 week vacation. Use a auto feeder, not blaming that but is a possibility. I returned to find a small Green Thread Algae issue previous to my vacation, a full blown invasion. I did a large PWC, removed as much as I could by pulling it by hand from my plants and using my thumbnail on tougher leaved plants. I reduced lighting to about 3 hours a day. Scrubbed driftwood with a brush because it had Green Hair Algae. With in Days both algaes where coming back with a vengence. I tried the same routine again and it seemed to work until I started to increase lighting time then it was back. Since the tank had been set up for 6-7 months, fish in it for 5, I decided to re-set the tank. Put my fish in the 2 QT tanks I have and removed all plants. I had a decent collection and I wanted to salvage as much as I could. I pulled the GTA from all of the plants and tossed about the bottom 2/3 of each plant with exception of smaller ones I just physically removed algae or tossed. They remained blacked out from light in a stock tank for 6 weeks, then under low light increasing to low/medium for a few hours daily for over a 2 week period. The tank, substrate and filter also ran blacked out then entire time. I dosed with ammonia to keep the biofilter in tact. I set the tank up last Wednesday and this past Sunday I noticed the small clumps of GTA. I have not put fish back in the tank, probably tonight or tomorrow, working a few tweeks with my background.
TANK INFO-
  • 40G breeder drilled
  • LED lighting not sure of the PAR but I would say High Intensity near 4-5 Watts PG using old CFL standards
  • Medium to densely planted since loss of plant stock
  • 29G sump with 8 gallon tower of lava rock media and floss batting mechanical about an inch thick
  • CO2 injection with reactor on filter return pump, pH contro;;er about 28ppm CO2 saturation
  • Flow is roughly 800 gph -estimated
  • Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate - not detectable with Plants. pH 6.8 about 7.6 without CO2
  • Plants, Malaysian and Mopani Driftwood, Slate and Granite rocks, 45% Flourite Original, 10% Flourite Black Sand & 45% Flora-max - NOTE* the Sand and floramax is new since reset.
  • RO/DI water I use Flourish to help remineralize aloing with BS & Epsom Salt for Hardness and pH
  • Flourish Excel dosing
 

Squidhead

New Member
Jan 25, 2020
5
1
3
54
United States
pic-
20200922_170503.jpg