This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Green Thread Algae

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by Squidhead, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Squidhead

Squidhead New Member

Local Time:
    1:07 PM
    Short Story- I have a stubborn case of Green Thread Algae (GTA) Thought I got rid of it and may have but I found a few small clumps of thread that jumped back. I'm hoping it was just small spores that may have dodged the "treatment" but I would like some thoughts-

Long winded details- And as long winded as this is I'm sure I left out some info- I have recently started back in fishkeeping, about 7 months ago. I have had many sucessful heavy planted tanks and some minor algae issues with those past tanks. Usually just green water and once some BGA that I was able to control relatively easy by adjusting fertilizer and lighting schedule/intensity and not introducing any newly aquired plants without a QT. Also, some Oto's and MTS for cleanup detail. Anyway, everything was going well until July when I went on a 2 week vacation. Use a auto feeder, not blaming that but is a possibility. I returned to find a small Green Thread Algae issue previous to my vacation, a full blown invasion. I did a large PWC, removed as much as I could by pulling it by hand from my plants and using my thumbnail on tougher leaved plants. I reduced lighting to about 3 hours a day. Scrubbed driftwood with a brush because it had Green Hair Algae. With in Days both algaes where coming back with a vengence. I tried the same routine again and it seemed to work until I started to increase lighting time then it was back. Since the tank had been set up for 6-7 months, fish in it for 5, I decided to re-set the tank. Put my fish in the 2 QT tanks I have and removed all plants. I had a decent collection and I wanted to salvage as much as I could. I pulled the GTA from all of the plants and tossed about the bottom 2/3 of each plant with exception of smaller ones I just physically removed algae or tossed. They remained blacked out from light in a stock tank for 6 weeks, then under low light increasing to low/medium for a few hours daily for over a 2 week period. The tank, substrate and filter also ran blacked out then entire time. I dosed with ammonia to keep the biofilter in tact. I set the tank up last Wednesday and this past Sunday I noticed the small clumps of GTA. I have not put fish back in the tank, probably tonight or tomorrow, working a few tweeks with my background.
    TANK INFO-
    • 40G breeder drilled
    • LED lighting not sure of the PAR but I would say High Intensity near 4-5 Watts PG using old CFL standards
    • Medium to densely planted since loss of plant stock
    • 29G sump with 8 gallon tower of lava rock media and floss batting mechanical about an inch thick
    • CO2 injection with reactor on filter return pump, pH contro;;er about 28ppm CO2 saturation
    • Flow is roughly 800 gph -estimated
    • Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate - not detectable with Plants. pH 6.8 about 7.6 without CO2
    • Plants, Malaysian and Mopani Driftwood, Slate and Granite rocks, 45% Flourite Original, 10% Flourite Black Sand & 45% Flora-max - NOTE* the Sand and floramax is new since reset.
    • RO/DI water I use Flourish to help remineralize aloing with BS & Epsom Salt for Hardness and pH
    • Flourish Excel dosing

2. Squidhead

Squidhead New Member

Local Time:
    1:07 PM
Tags: