Green Spot Algae

imatrout

Prolific Poster
Apr 4, 2005
Is it possible to have GSA in a tank that has PO4 at the 6-10 PPM level? I am measuring PO4 with a Salifert kit consistently in this range yet get GSA. I always thought GSA was related to low PO4. All other params are in line, no other algae and growth is phenominal in a heavily planted discus tank. Wassup?

sllo

Junior Poster
Jan 24, 2005
Cyprus
Re: Green Spot Algae

GSA is related to low PO4 and/or low CO2. I had the same problem, high PO4 but still had GSA. I increased the CO2 and GSA disappeared. Right know I am fighting Green dust algae.

Simpte

Prolific Poster
Feb 17, 2005

Green dust.
Turn off filters. Scrape walls. Larger waterchange. Clean filter. Run UV if possible. If no UV, you will have to repeat the first 3 steps 2-3 times a week.

wapfish

Prolific Poster
Sep 25, 2005

Simpte said:
Green dust.
Run UV if possible. If no UV, you will have to repeat the first 3 steps 2-3 times a week.

Alternatively, run a diatom filter. Also useful when you mess up the substrate or for just cleaning up the water in between water changes.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Green dust is almost like a fish you cannot catch easily.

So you can attack it right after it reattaches back on the glass with another scrub + water change.

Use this algae issue to clean your tank, the gravel, the filter etc very well also and get rid of any excess mulm.

Some folks had success with a number of water changes/scrubs, filtering(UV, Diatom) one right after the other till most all of the algae was gone.

If you clean it off, realize that it will swim around and reattach again if not removed again. This takes 5-120 minutes or so.
So fast water changes right after will help and some use a paper towel to remove it and toss it out by doing a very large water change, and when the tank's glass is exposed to air, it's easier not to get the alga into the water when scrubbing and you toss it all away.

I'm not sure if folks used Excel or H2O2, but they might cause some issues for the algae also.

Simply pulling the lights back away from the front glass also helps as well as really dense plant growth.

I've had it a few times, but it's not last that long.

Also, it seems to not grow on the glass where higher current and CO2 is.
GD is better than GS.

Regards,
Tom Barr

imatrout

Prolific Poster
Apr 4, 2005

Glad I asked about Green Dust Algae.... :rolleyes: Very informative, but I have GSA,,with high CO2.

matthewburk

Junior Poster
Oct 12, 2005

In my opinion low phosphate or co2 can make it worse, but I don't think "having the right balance" will make it go away entirely. If it did you would not have GSA. Algae is a natrural thing that grows where plants do, I don't think that we can ever get rid of all algae. I don't think you are gonna get any information here that you don't already know.

Tom Barr's methods are a great starting point, but high co2 and EI will not solve all algae problems, although it gets very close.