This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Green Spot Algae all over my plant- Advice needed

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by srobin20, Mar 9, 2015.

1. srobin20

srobin20 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:56 AM
    Hi Members,

Thanks for the advice in advance, I am currently having a problem with Green spot algae on my plants and on the glass. I also notice a little hair algae but nothing major like the green spot algae, I also have brown algae on my moss. I have read up on several articles and I am dosing EI correctly I think? Right now I get a ph drop of .7 from when the co2 goes on, this is a ph drop from 8.1 to 7.4 approximately and it stabilizes at 7.4 and this is via a fluval diffuser at 4 bubbles per second. At about 12 pm it is at 7.41, since I donot have alot of plants, I was thinking this is enough co2 since I have pretty big fish. Please let me know your thoughts if I need to increase the co2 or up my fert dosing below? Also my drop checker is green during the co2 period.

Questions for how to get rid of this algae problem:

Should I reduce the light? Up my dosing? Increase my co2?

Pictures:https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B...40bExqVjA/edit

Fert Dosing

-Sunday 50% or more Water Change then dose 1 tsp of SeaChem Equlibrium [3/4 tsp KN03] + [1/4 teaspoon KH2PO4 ] + [½ teaspoon MgSO4]

-Monday - Flourish (Bought a large bottle before I switched to dry ferts, that I am trying to use out)

-Tuesday - [3/4 tsp KN03] + [1/4 tsp KH2P04 ] + [½ teaspoon MgSO4]

-Wednesday - 50% or more Water Change then dose 1 tsp of SeaChem Equlibrium- 1/16 teaspoon CSM+B + iron

-Thursday - [3/4 tsp KN03] + [1/4tsp KH2P04 ] + [½ teaspoon MgSO4]

Friday Rest

Saturday - Rest

Maintenance:

-Twice a week 50% water changes

Tank Specs:

Current setup

-90 gallons

-2 canister filters

-1 surface eheim skimmer

-Plants in pots

-Temperature at 83 it is a discus tank

-Co2 injection through a fluval diffuser (I can see tiny mist bubbles)

Timing of Lights

Marine Land: ON at 7:30am to 4:30pm (So I can feed the fish before I go to work)

BML LED light 10000k series on at 8:00am to 4:00pm

co2:7am to 3:30pm

airstone at night: 4:30 to 7am

Water parameters

Nitrite 0ppm

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Ph out the tap 7.4

Ph in aquarium 7.8 (Ph digital reader)

Ph test kit 7.8 to 8

Kh out the tap 17

Kh aquarium 16

Gh aquarium 1

Gh tap 1

My lights on the tank:

BML LED light 10000k series

Marineland plant led 48 inch

2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Random thoughts: more plants, …a lot more, full EI is probably unnecessary with well-fed discus and so few plants. …I'd stick with K and traces, and it looks like it's taking your CO2 too long to get to your target, may want to soften the water a bit, switch the Marineland LEDs off when the BML kicks on, and go to 70% water changes. And if you're going to use pots, might as well stick with dirt + osmocote caps topped with gravel instead of EI. This gives plants an advantage.

#2 Pikez, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
  3. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You need more plants and GSA is usually.from lack of PO4. I'd also have my CO2 on at least an hour before hand. You also have a lot of light on there as well. The high temp only helps it along as well, but I understand the discus part.

Few things...

1. Less hours of light

2. Add more PO4 via KH2PO4

3. Add more plants

4. Let air turn on a few hours after CO2 is off. This will allow the CO2 to naturally degas. The addition of O2 only moves it along.

4. srobin20

srobin20 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for the advice, I up the dosage of po4 and reduce my bml led light by two hours, it comes on at 10am now. I am now currently monitoring the algae.

5. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You can also scrub it from the glass just before a water change. This will get most of the floating particles. While the water is low, you can spot treat with H2O2. This will also help. Just don't over it with the peroxide. I have a spray bottle with it and just spray infected areas.

6. srobin20

srobin20 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks I for the tips, I will definitely incorporate them in my maintenance schedule.

7. srobin20

srobin20 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Do you think I need to reduce my lighting period even further?