This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Green Hair Algae

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Lightt, Jun 17, 2016.

1. 1077

1077 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    4:25 AM
    Seem's you have done or are doing, everything suggested except..reducing the light intensity as mentioned by raising the light or placing window screen over the tank .

Reduced light energy will make it easier to dial in CO2 and could result in no other measures needed other than good tank care.( weekly water change,keep filter's clean)

Will have hard time keeping nutrient availability/consistency with twice or thrice weekly water changes as mentioned in previous post's in my view.

If you are dosing per EI then nutrient 's and their availability become almost a non issue.

Leaves only light,and CO2 to cause issues.

Reduce light,and leaves only CO2.

Too much CO2 and could result in dead fish/shrimp so I would first attempt to reduce light energy/intensity and see how thing's go after a couple week's.

Not going to note much improvement in a few day's.

Add more plant's will also help.IMHO

#21 1077, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
  2. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I wonder if a 2x24w bulb build for my setup is better than the 3x24..

My question is if my higher demanding plants like wallichi or even cuba will suffer due to lower light.. Maybe not, but i am not experienced to know..

The other option i have is probably change my third 24w bulb to an 11w bulb; Does this lower the intensity;

I am also reading high nitrates levels. I am changing 50-60% of water and after 3 days i am reading for about 20 nitrates.

Is it a substrate issue;

I am using prodibio aquagrowth soil.

Thank you

3. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I am reading for about 20 nitrates 3 days after changing my water for about 50-60% change. I think thats a lot for 3 days.

I am investigating if nitrates are feeding this brown diatom hairy algae.

I put some purigen in my filter that i had from the past to control the nitrates a bit and see how this algae behaves. Maybe this is a wrong move but i have to try to see.

I guess my substrate soil releases ammonia so its responsible for those nitrates. I also started to use excel (normal dosing) in combination with pressurized.

Difficult algae friends...I mean she is extremely fast and needs high maintenance so this mean huge effort by me..

Thank you for all of your advises..

My next step is to put the window screen and reduce the intensity..if all those things above don't help me:)

Thank you again for your help

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Too much light is the among the biggest issues folks ignore or think they have no other option, this leads to a long painful route.

Next is CO2, another path that often leads to pain.

If anyone doubts this, they just to stay in the hobby a bit longer.

These 2 things cause issues or have for pretty much everyone at some point.

2 people like this.
  5. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Shall i put the window screen or change 1 bulb from 24w to 11; (same kelvin , same bulb, different watt)

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Both

That is what I'd do.

The biggest issue is folks do not want to down grade the light they just bought..........or use less, they'd rather torture themselves for 5-10 years 1st.

Most think more is better, but then do not use the same logic with CO2 or ferts curiously.

Planted tanks are EASY to care for and have few algae issues if folks have low light, rich cO2/ferts. This has been well known for at least 20 years now.

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
  8. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thank you , i understand! I cant find the balance for co2 and ferts at those high lightning levels.

I will proceed to a downgrade and see how it goes.

9. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Do this melosira or filamentous diatoms (i cant exactly determine the issue) "eat" from silicates; Should i buy a silicate test and see if my silicate levels are high; Or this doesnt make sense;

Thank you

10. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hair algae is caused by a light/nutrient inbalance. American flag fish won't take cure that inbalance but they certainly will get rid of its result, that hair algae. They've never failed me.

11. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I cant add fish to solve this.. I need to identify the issue and fix it.. It isnt like the common hair algaes.. Is like hairy diatoms growing pretty fast.

12. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    After lots of research and Toms suggestions i am pretty sure that 3 x 24 w lightning build is way too much for my 80 liters setup. And this is probably why i am facing the issues even if i tried lots of things to get rid of them.

I am going to put the 100% intensity (3 bulbs together) only for 2 hours in my photo period and for 6 hours i am going to run with 2 x 24 which is about 0,6-0,7 w/l if we want to measure with this old fashion way.

I believe that my plants wont have any issues growing if my co2 and ferts are ok even plants which ask for light such us rotala walichi , palustris cuba and hemianthus cuba (i am not sure about that one , maybe light its light demands are a myth)

Any suggestions are more than welcome . And if you believe i should just trash the third bulb at all you tell me ;)

13. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hello friends,

Let me update my status...

I v tried several things for 2 weeks. Cleaning, increasing co2, ferts, no ferts, nothing helped me to win this slimy brown hair algae. Still an aggressive grower..

So i made my lightning movement by removing the third bulb.

Now i am running 2 x 24 w, 1 arcadia daylight 6600k and 1 for plants 4000k. So 2 t5s HO. My setup since now was 3 t5 ho.

My question is if my light now is ok for my more demanding plants such as cuba and waliichi. I remind you my dimensions , 80 x 30 x 40 centimeters. Bulbs 10 cm from the surface and substrate thickness an average of 7-8. Maybe i felt in love with very high lightning and now i have those fears :)

I also changed my osram daylight to the Arcadia. Dont know exactly why maybe for psychological reasons. Should i keep dosing ferts or wait for 2 weeks for my plants to get used to it;

Thank you guys

14. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Τom , is this melosira doing a cycle like other diatoms; Or it is affected by other factors;

Thank you!

15. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    My substrate contains silicium total (internal dose) 74.600 mg/kg dry matter, with SIO2 46,6% of total weight.

Is this related with my melosira algae; And if so..whats next;

Sorry for questions. I am confused..