This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Green Hair Algae

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Lightt, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:35 AM
    Hello,

As my title says i have an opponent which is green hair algae. Probably started from a moss , next on cuba and now tries to control my stems.

I am asking for a treatment method... I am somehow new to planted aquariums with a 6 month experience.

The only think i have done since now is to mechanical remove the hair and vacuum as much as possible.. But she is still there and she is hungry if you know what i mean :)

I am reading about excel overdosing but i am not sure if this is going to work and if i have to worry about aquarium's life (cardinals, otos and 2 amano shrimp).

My aquarium specs:

80 x 30 x 40 (cm)

24w x 3 bulbs (6500, 4000,6500) , (1650, 1200, 1650 lumen)

pressurized co2 yes

fertilizing EI method with seachem products for now

My plant setup includes

hemianthus cuba

pogostemon helferi,

lugwidia perennis

alternanthera mini

alternanthera red ruby

cabomba furcata

rotala wallichi

fissidens fontanus

spiky moss

peacock moss

amania praetermissa

ranunculus inundatus

Thank you in advance guys

2. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    Keep taking some out every day reduce lighting just a bit if possible nothing drastic and keep doing 2 times per week water changes and do not disturb substrate if possible and it will retreat eventually.(my 2 cents)good luck

3. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thank you for your answer.

I am vacuuming the hair algae with the little air pump pipe.. Its difficult and slow method but this way i dont have to change bigger amounts of water.. I cant limit my light now by increase the height of bulbs from the surface. It is a fix distance..

I found a topic about green hair algae here in forum.

It is probably co2 related and sometimes appears to new tanks.

Barr suggests excel and blackout for 3 days. Of course i need to increase my co2 to prevent new growth.

Truth is that i dont want to blackout the tank now.. Should i start dosing the excel; And if yes , how ; x2 dose for my liters direct into the whole aquarium everyday; I v never treat the tank with excel so i am totally newbie :)

4. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    More frequent and bigger water changes and increase CO2 a little bit at a time. Remove algae manually. Reduce light. Dont bother with excel. Keep doing this over and over until the plants are happy. That's all there is to it.

5. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    No excel; Are my fish and shrimp going to have issues with it; I am asking you because i see the excel as a quick, not long term solution for fast killing. As for the lights, i can decrease my photo period but not close 1 bulb for example..

I hope to win this soon , she is really ugly :) My tank is 1 month old and probably not stabilized and this is why i have this issue.

If i am doing 2 water changes per week is it ok;

6. BenFishin

BenFishin Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    My hair algae always shows up when it is time to clean out my filter, I am over due for a water change, or co2 is messed up. When I started my tank, I stirred up a mess of junk and clogged up my filter pads. Lighting doesn't seem to be an issue on my tank as I try to not mess with it a whole lot and have had success with eliminating hair algae without. If you want to try to reduce light without removing bulb or photo period, do you have any way of getting your light further away from the tank by propping it up or hanging higher?

7. 1077

1077 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Can maybe buy a piece of window screen to fit the top of tank to dim the lighting a bit while increasing CO2.?

Might take two layer's of the window screen.

8. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:35 PM
    You have a little imbalance in the tank.

Try a toothbrush to remove the green hair algae (GHA).

Is it a slime green GHA? Pick it off with a chopstick then Siphon it out.

Zapping just the affected areas with common hydrogen peroxide with dropper is very effective except you may lose some plants in the next week. Go easy.

A surface vacuum of the soil will help reduce the compost.

Keep us posted.

9. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    The algae is short hair , not slime.

I am cleaning the hair algae and doing a water change but next morning she is there. She doesnt have specific spots , she is going everywhere.

It really disturbs me because she is fast grower and i cant handle her that easy.

10. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You can grab that with your fingers and peroxide zap the rest.

Adopt a young Mollie. They eat GHA.

Can you show us a picture of the whole tank?

11. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Yes..

Here is my tank.

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w401/Light0r/IMG_0209_zpskoyqsr2v.jpg

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w401/Light0r/IMG_0206_zpsgqbgg1w1.jpg

I have plants and i am planning to get some more to increase the competition..

I have to tell you that i had my co2 to 2 bubbles per second and i decreased that to 80 bubbles because i thought cardinals had issues with co2.. Maybe hair algae found this chance;;;

Now i am back to 2 bubbles per second..

Oxygen levels are normal.

12. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Look good.

Keep after the GHA and plant more plants.

13. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thank you :)

It has lots of hair algae that you cant see at the photos. I am fighting her everyday and doing small water changes like 10%.. I hope that co2 will make the trick for me and finally enjoy the tank a bit

14. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hello,

I am updating. This algae is like Brown Hair Algae. I did a full trimming , a big water change and cleaning and after these things going better. But what is that; Its like brown hair diatoms.

I am posting a photo from a random tank that shows the issue.

Thank you

15. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    High light, low plant biomass, lower CO2.........the alga is Melosira or similar, a slimy long chain diatom. Shrimp like to eat it, but you will need more.

16. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Tom, thank you for your answer!

The tank above isnt mine.. Fortunately i have a smaller issue but still big.

Things going better 2 days now . I trimmed a lot, clean whatever i could and i stopped fertilization because i think something fed that algae so i am testing it for 10 days without ferts.. My tank is pretty new for about 40 days old and my photoperiod is 7 hours per day.

I aim to water change every 3 days for the next 2 weeks and cleaning as much as i can. As for shrimps i have 5 amano, they seem to eat the algae but they are not enough.

The co2 confuses me...i have my dropchecker with lime lemon color and i thought i was ok but probably i am not..

Is there anything else i can do except water changes and cleaning; I will increase my plant mass too.

The bad news are that i cant lower the light or increase the height from the substrate. But on the other hand i found this algae growing even without lights open (cleaning it last night and found it next day before the lights are open).

Thank you in advance

#16 Lightt, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2016
  17. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Add ferts, they show if you have other issues that need addressed, if things are actually fixed, they help improve things. Instead of not adding ferts, try adding less light instead.

Add screen to reduce the intensity. Reduce hours etc.

Stop looking at those drop checkers. Start looking at plants and algae( Nice good new growth, plants perk up, algae recedes)

This is nothing new or novel.

18. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I understand..

Should i start with smaller fertilization doses; My plants dont have aggressive growth even with this light , furthermore i replanted them so they are not well established yet.

My problem is my soil . I cant stabilize it yet . Maybe it needs more water changes to lose its intensity.

Last but not least the soil decreases my KH a lot, acting like reverse osmosis.

So the right thing to do is probably adding ferts and doing 2 w/c per week;

4 days now , melosira is growing but slower than before that i was fertilizing everyday. She is fast grower and really wants high maintenance to keep her under control.. I am pretty new to aquariums so some things confuse me a bit :)

Ιn conclusion about lightning Tom, do you believe should i close the 1 bulb and run lightning with 2 x 24w; I ll try to pick a screen and put but what about closing the 1 at all; Is 3 bulbs maybe an overkill;

Here is my info again:

3 χ 24w bulbs. 2 t5 ho 6500k daylight and one 4000k pink bulb normal.

21gallon, for about 80liters of "clean" water.

aquarium height 40 cm

distance between bulbs and surface 10cm

substrate thickness for about 7-8 cm in general with some slopes even more.

Thank you for your support

#18 Lightt, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2016
  19. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Update!

My problem (melosira) going really better after cleaning my filter,doing water changes and increasing my CO2 (a lot). I was increasing every 2 days and i went from 100 bps to 160 bps. Fish seem ok , no gasping at the surface or something weird.. My oto fish are pretty active eating around so i guess i am fine.. But i will have an eye alert for few nights..

As for my light i didnt change something .. Maybe the issue caused by low co2.

I did everything you told me Tom and things are going so much better.. Thank you very much for the information you gave me.

Ah i almost forgot. The only thing i did by my self was adding excel to the whole aquarium when i changed water.. I dont know if that also helps or it was a mistake.

Thank you again i will update when my issue is totally gone.

20. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I have again a small increase at this algae.

Yesterday i put the minimum iron dosing. Is it something wrong with iron ; Is it related to this melosira algae;

I am also trying to fix my co2 flow to go everywhere in the tank.