This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Green Algae Harmful?

Discussion in 'Marine Plants - Macroalgae' started by JATIN, Feb 12, 2012.

1. JATIN

JATIN Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:05 PM
    Hello All!

I have a Walstad style low-tech planted tank (40G). Tank gets some indirect sunlight through window for about 3-4 hours a day.
    I also have 27W CFL white which I keep switched on for about 10 hours/day. This is home for about 18 Neon Tetra and lot of plants like cobomba, baby tears, amazon, and some others which I havent identified yet. All flora & fauna are doing very well.

Here is the problem:
    Since last couple of days I observed green string-like fibrous growth (algae?) around roots of floating duckweed that I have in my planted tank.
    Currently the green stuff is localized only to the duckweed roots.

Questions:
    1. Is this algae?
    2. Is it harmful to leave it as it is?
    2. Should I remove the duckweed from my tank?
    3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Jatin

2. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    7:05 AM
    It's not harmful but it will grow. It's an indication that your tank may be out of balance. Remove it. But the greater question is what do you currently do for maintenance and fertilization?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.140354,-80.132453

3. JATIN

JATIN Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Htomassini. As per Walstad's book, I add some extra fish-food as fertilizer for plants.
    Also, I use a commercial liquid aquatic-plant-fertilizer (no idea of the contents) 10 drops per week.
    Can you please suggest a better routine which is not too complex?

Thanks,
    Jatin

4. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    7:05 AM
    What's the liquid?

Are you doing weekly w/c
    Has your plant biomass grown in the last weeks/month?

Henry Tomassini
    www.theplantedaquariumstore.com
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. JATIN

JATIN Junior Poster

Local Time:
    The liquid-fert is named "Green Gold", which I believe is a local (Indian) product.
    Plant biomass has grown really well ever since I have setup my low-tech tank (2 months back).
    (ex. Cobomba has grown tall enough to the water-surface of 24inch high tank, Anubias has also grown new leaves)

>> Are you doing weekly w/c
    What is w/c? If you mean weekly water testing using test-kit, then no I do not have a test-kit.

Thanks!

#5 JATIN, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2012