This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Good planted tank filter?

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by KentCurtis, Feb 2, 2009.

1. KentCurtis

KentCurtis Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:29 AM
    Hey everyone. I am looking to get a new filter on my 20g high. Does anyone have any recommendations on a filter for around $60~? I have a pretty cheap HOB right now and I have read about the possibility of it out-gassing my co2. Thanks in advance!

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Are you using DIY C02? If pressurized you can overcome the off-gassing by increasing your bubble rate a bit, but this is harder with DIY, but the same principle applies.

I have a 45g non-c02 with decent growth and using a whisper II or whatever they are called now. Keeps the tank clean at least and was not that expensive. Close to your range.

The higher the waterfall, the more opportunity for c02 loss so look for that in each model..........

What about one of the Eheim Classics? a bit more than you want to spend, but quality costs..........

Eheim Classic Aquarium Canister/External Filter

Look around the web for better prices once you find the model you want............

It really depends on your c02 requirements and your ability to meet them.

I personally would go for a better filter and figure out a way to get better c02 diffusion/delivery. You may decide to go non-c02, but doubt you will decide to go filterless........Look for something that can run at least 100 gph

Hope this helps.

3. KentCurtis

KentCurtis Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Gerryd! I am running pressurized co2, so i suppose you are right in the fact that I could just up my bubble rate. I was actually looking into an Eheim Classic because of the lower cost of a quality name brand cansiter - so thanks for the recommendation!

4. shane

shane Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The Classic Eheims are pretty much bulletproof. Never had a problem with one. I have had one for over 10 years. Quiet, fairly efficient, reliable.