This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Good plant growth but still algae

Discussion in 'Marine Plants - Macroalgae' started by scottward, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Matsyendra

Matsyendra Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:59 PM
    I have two SAE in 45 gallons each about 10 cm... they are always busy... but geez...they are messy, pooping everywhere :rolleyes:

I reckon 1 per 50g should be plenty... those tiny things are gonna GROW

2. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hi,

I just bought 8 SAE's (3-4cm in length) for my 100g.

I think this will be enough initially, and I can 'thin them out' as they grow.

A genuine SAE will continue to eat proportionally more BBA etc as it grows - yes?

Scott.

3. Matsyendra

Matsyendra Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Yes, unlike other fish that are supposed to be "algae eaters"... SAE (and otto's) stay that way and are non stop eaters... with 8 of them you will see just how much poop can be generated in a day... :D

Say goodbye to BBA. They will also quite aggressively hoover up any flake food from all parts of the water column (my other fish have to really be quick to get their dinner). As well as any sinking food, fresh veggies... man can those things EAT.

8 will be very entertaining. My two are good friends until food is involved.. and then its on!

#23 Matsyendra, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2011
  4. AquaticJim

AquaticJim Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Thats the theory....but.....I have some really massive SAE's that are around 5 years old now. Great characters and I like them very much, but they would have to be the biggest fat slugs of the aquatic world that there is. They just totally and I mean totally laze the day away "resting" on anything thats available. The only time they get half excited and move is when they know something tasty is going to be added to the tank.

5. scottward

Local Time:
    Any BBA, hair algae etc in your tank though? :)

6. AquaticJim

AquaticJim Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    No, not presently...not a skeric.

BUT...(there's always a but isn't there?) as stated earlier they are 5 years old and I have had some battles with BBA over those years (and previously in other tanks with others SAE's) and whilst they may nibble on it here and there.....it's no different from a cow munching on grass.....they only take the top growth off and it will always come back.....if you're lucky enough to have ones that are even interested in BBA in the first place (keep them literally starving and they will be more likely to).

I'm a convert now to high turnover, no dead spots, high CO2, heavy EI ferts and growing plants fast.....I believe that it's the only way to totally eliminate BBA once and for all. Things like Excel, Peroxide, Black outs, bleach, worrying about old light tubes and saying incantations everytime you look at your tank etc etc are just getting rid of the BBA that you can see....it's always going to come back and it's always going to be a battle if you don't correct the reason that it's there in the very first place.

7. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    incantations? haven't tried that yet...are there any you recommend? :p does it work best if i stand on my head while reciting them?

8. pat w

pat w Member

Local Time:
    Only on a moonless Wednesday right before dawn. :rolleyes:

9. scottward

Local Time:
    Biological filtration. Biological filtration. Biological filtration.

I am convinced that I have overlooked this very important part of my system.

I'm researching deeply (!) into canister filters, sumps etc etc.

The easiest thing for me to do is add another canister filter...

I like easy.

Scott.