Good diffusing method

jtparsons

Prolific Poster
Jan 18, 2009
Bellingham Wa
Along the lines of upgrades in Verkions post Im looking for a better way to diffuse co2. Ive run it into the intake of my over the back filter. Used a diffuser in tank in conjunction with the koralia in different orientations. They all work, but the most efficient has been putting the c02 line in the intake for the over the back filter. It didnt circulate around the tank as well, but gave me higher c02 levels for less bubbles a minute than other methods I tried. I didnt expect this when I tried it as I figured the surface agitation in the filter would let c02 escape. I would like to not see millions of c02 bubbles blowing all around the tank. An external diffuser seems to be the answer.
-The in tank diffusers are ugly.
-Is there a canister filter I could use that wont create more problems than its worth. And turn the tank into a whirlpool (15gal.) Ive read Toms info on using a canister, but is my tank to small to do it this way?
-Ive seen some external diffusers available, but they seem like they are designed for large systems overkill?
There must be a high quality efficient way to do this for a small tank (15gal)

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Jt,

I think it would work well, but unless you have a sump, it will be in the tank.

Also, it may well produce mist which you indicate you don't want............

You can always make a MUCH smaller version of Tom's external reactor but you would still need an in-tank pump and hose to power it and a return line, again unless you have a sump. The reactor can be outside the tank out of sight.

Hope this helps.

jtparsons

Prolific Poster
Jan 18, 2009
Bellingham Wa
GD,
Thanks I must have totally missed something. This pump looked to me like it could be used not submersed. I see the water inlet in the picture with a barbed nipple for co2/o2 and the outlet back to tank. Is this pump submersable only the details dont say anything. Ill take a closser look at Tom's diffuser and see if I can figure out a small scale DIY thanks. -Jon

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
if its only 15 gals you might as well do a hagen ladder. They are small, clear and work well for small tanks. The LFS use em on the tanks they setup on the counter and sell.

Graham

Junior Poster
Mar 10, 2005
Mpls, MN
I use the external PVC reactor method, but it is "powered" by my external Eheim Pro filter. Nice slow flow (160 GPH I think) for my 75 gallon. Plus, the output bar has the little holes that basically serve as a second reactor due to the flow bottleneck it creates. I don't see any microbubbles getting into the tank at all, so I can only assume the CO2 is completely aqueous for all intensive purposes.