This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Good and bad medicines for amano shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Kathy328i, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Kathy328i

Kathy328i Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    10:48 PM
    One of my old neons is showing a little ich. Ordinarily, I would have added an antibiotic to control it but I am also the owner of a few amano shrimp. I do not want to do them done in. My general questions is this: What kinds of medications can I keep on hand to manage the usual fish diseases and yet not kill the amano shrimp?

2. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Catch the affected fish and put in a hospital tank, where you can treat with any of the standard treatments, e.g., treat for 14 days with malachite green/formalin and raise temp to 85-86 degrees-There is a ton of stuff on the internet about treatment.

If and when he gets better, you can return to tank.

Don't use same nets or other stuff in both tanks, or you could theoretically re-contaminate the main tank.

I have read that any tank that has been treated at any time with copper should not be used for shrimp as the copper can remain in the silicon joints and kill the shrimp.

Even dropping a penny in a tank can kill shrimp.

3. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Agreed. Catch the affected fish and place in a quarantine tank. A good product is maracide.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I've used malachite green without issue.

5. aquabruce

aquabruce Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Why not just slowly raise the temp above 86. Most strains of Ich can't survive above that temp. No chemicals needed. Try that for 10+ days. Increase your surface agitation for good O2 exchange. Why stress out the fish by moving it to another tank. If one fish has it others may also.