This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Gnathonemus petersi

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Martin, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Anyone keep these in your planted tank?

Is it "possible" ot will they tear up the tank?

Pro's & Con's ?

Symbiot

2. pigwiggle

pigwiggle Junior Poster

Re: Gnathonemus petersi

I’ve kept them. They are perfect for a planted tank; very respectful of the plants. Pros; they are interesting (weird chin thing) and love to zip around the tank playing with the other fish. Mine loved to school with my clown loaches. They fit right into a black water setup and have similar needs as other ‘scaleless’ fish.

Cons; they are notorious jumpers and a complete cover is mandatory, they are ‘scaleless’ and have all the associated problems, you can only keep one adult as they are very territorial (you may notice your store only has juveniles in the same tank), they are agitated by other ‘electrical’ fish, ghosts and so forth.

They are difficult to tend initially. Depending on your local store they may be off their food. Get them feeding again with live feedings (purged and rinsed tubifex work well) in a dim or dark tank. They like a softer substrate to probe for food with their chin. Once back on their food they will take anything frozen, haven’t seen them take dried food. The last one I kept grew to about 8” in a 55gal over six years. I had to put it down after it suffered a broken spine. I have no clue how it happened; I’m guessing a transient short in one of my submersed electricals.

All in all one of my favorites. Feel free to ask me anything; I’ve had good luck with them and loads of experience.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Gnathonemus petersi

They will eat shrimp and be somewhat belligerent among like fish.
    I've kept them for many years and many species within this family.

Regards,
    Tom Barr