This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Glutaraldehyde

Discussion in 'Off Topic and Chat' started by Tug, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:07 PM
    Ok, I admit I'm no scientist but from what I have read on Glutaraldehyde, contraindications preventing you from using it in your vegetable garden at the concentrations we dose in the fish tank water we are disposing of do not exist. If anyone could point out the error of my ways, please do. The stuff is used in animal husbandry and a variety of agricultural settings for sanitisation and disinfection purposes. :uncomfortableness:

2. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It's good stuff! ;p It's also used for tanning leather and to clean butt scopes (the ones used for sigmoidoscopies and colonoscopies). Also dentist use it to disinfect dental tools, etc. It also breaks down rather quickly in a fish tank.

#2 Matt F., May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
  3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    In garden soil, and by the time you remove the tank water, it's pretty much decomposed, no issues using lots of aquarium water where you added glut to the aquarium outside or on house plants.

If you spray Glut Excel on a house plant, it will kill it though.

4. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thank you for your response e1. I was comfortable with the idea of using the tank water until someone mentioned their concerns that it would get into their vegetables. They referred to the childproof cap as an example of it's potential hazard. :confused:

What I've been able to discern, other then the potential harm to the skin, eyes and lungs, is that there is no toxic chemical buildup in the soil and it breaks down quickly into CO2 and stuff. So, it's better then Formaldehyde.

I think it is the aldehyde component that people are concerned about. My concern was it might kill micro-organisms in the soil. But that would be a concern if it were to be added directly to the soil/plants, not when tank water is used.

Seachem Flourish Excel's childproof cap would indicate the stuff is hazardous. I was just surprised to hear someone suggest it was dangerous to use tank water dosed with Excel in the vegetable garden.

Thanks again.

5. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I think the childproof cap is just to keep curious children from drinking the stuff. It's not cancer causing, but it can cause asthma and other lung irritation. mix in a well ventilated area is you deal with concentrate. My skin has been in contact with the stuff. Just wash your hands after. Of course I would wear gloves and safety glasses with the concentrate. Doesn't strike me as any more harmful than bleach.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Well, they are hardly well versed on the environmental fate of Glutaraldehyde.

Here's some papers:

http://cactiexchange.ipc.tsc.ru/blogger/fulltext.pdf
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0147651300920311
    http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2005/20050003.pdf

Now if you add this to an aquarium with lots of biomass and plants, the 1/2 life will be LESS.
    We only add 2 ppm per 24 hours.

Most is cooked by the end of the day.