Glossostigma issue...

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Hello here,
for whom don't know me yet, I have a 75gl planted tank with several kind of plants all growing and living well. Among them, I have a group of Glossostigma that, I don't know why, instead of growing "horizontally" they grow "vertically". Only a few of them began to crawl for 12-15 inches a few weeks ago, then they stopped. The rest, just grows toward the light, upwards. I have to replant them every two weeks because the lower part of the single stems appears to die or, at least, the leaves die.

Maybe my light is not enough for that kind of plant? I have 3 tubes of 40w each, for a total of 120w. All the other plants grow incredibly well and fast:

1. 2 big Amazon Swords
2. Dozens of Rotala Walichii
3. 3 Anubias
4. Dozens of Limnophila Indica
5. Java moss
6. Dozens of Echinodorus Tennelus
7. Dozens of Vallisneria Americana and Vallisneria Asiatica

I have to trim all my plants every day because of their incredible growth (except Glossostigma of course!).

Here is some picture of my aquarium:

MobileMe Gallery

in the middle of picture IMG_3689.JPG you can see my group of Glossostigma growing toward the light...

Any thoughts are very welcome!

Thank you.

Fab.

looney417

Junior Poster
Dec 25, 2008
its most likely because the patch of glosso is not receiving enough light in that area, is there anything that may be blocking your lights? i turned off 1/2 my lights for a week or 2 to try and cut down the electric bill, and all my glosso started to grow higher, when glosso gets ALOT of light, they hug the substrate.

Gautam

Prolific Poster
May 19, 2008
Calcutta, India
Hi Fab,

As stated by Looney, growth of Glossos are heaviliy dependant on light.

I would like to add the following:

1> You may have enough light in terms of watts/ gallon but you need to see how much of it is reaching the aquarium bottom layer. Not only the volume of light but it's penetrability is equally important. So if your tank is tall then only watts/ gallon may not be enough

I have got success with Glossos always with Hallides having colour temparature > 6500 K

2> Glosso requires high CO2, so if your CO2 concentration in water is not high enough then Glosso might have a tendency to "stand up"

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
I have glosso growing and it stays near the substrate.
Here are my tank specs:::
2x65W 8000K PC, high c02, normal EI routine for a 60 gal.
Its a lot like HC as it tends to grow towars the light, unless there is ample at the substrate.

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Thank you guys for your replies. I think Co2 is ok, I am currently giving 4 bubbles per second and the permanent checker is light green, so I guess that's ok. Also, the rest of plants grow so fast: Amazon Swords grow something 2 inches a day!

I think the problem can be the light indeed: right above the Glossostigma I have a couple of big Amazon Sword leaves, probably they filter the light. I will try to cut those leaves. About the color temperature, I can't tell you precisely, I am currently using the following combination of lights (recommended by the Hagen company for planted aquariums):

Sun-Glo: 4200°K - 40W

Power-Glo: ?? (I couldn't find its temperature) - 40W

Life-Glo: 6700°K - 40W

If you have any different recommended combination, please let me it know!

One question remain also: how to replant Glossostigma correctly in order to let them grow close to the substrate? Do you think I need just to cut them around 1-2 inch long and replant them?

Thank you again.

Fab.

Gautam

Prolific Poster
May 19, 2008
Calcutta, India
Cut 1" pieces. You can consider planting them in an angular fashion (a trick learnt from ADA). I guess this might slightly push the plants to crawl as the roots cming out will have a little distance to hit the substrate, once that happens the entire plant will be forced to crawl. However nothing will have an effect unless light is corrected. CO2 clearly is not a problem as suggested by your Drop Checker colour

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

permanent checker is light green, so I guess that's ok. Also, the rest of plants grow so fast: Amazon Swords grow something 2 inches a day

CO2 clearly is not a problem as suggested by your Drop Checker colour

These are not good assumptions that c02 is sufficient or stable.............

The DC color just means there is enough c02 at the DC to make it change color. Also DC take 90-120 minutes to adjust, so it's not they denote 'REAL TIME' measurements of c02. Many folk see a yellow color for adequate c02, myself included.

Also, just because some plants do well, does not indicate sufficient c02 for the entire bio-mass. If some do well and not others, this is more an indication of a deficiency of some sort, most likely c02.

Trim the area around the gloss so it gets 'UNITERRUPTED light and see how that goes.

Gautam

Prolific Poster
May 19, 2008
Calcutta, India
You have a point Jerry on plant bio mass and CO2 distribution. Yes with palnts like amazon swords and vals around there can be little CO2 left around the immediate water column near the glossos.

This also raises another question in my mind i.e. regarding the water flow in the aquarium. Without that chances of an even CO2 distribution in the tank will be very less leading to over saturation for some plants and starvation for others

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Gautam,

Yes, Tom has been pointing our for a while now the importance of current and flow in planted tanks and that by and large we are usually underpowered.............

Nutrients are not as available to all leaves/plants and waste is also not removed as quickly. In higher light areas, this is even more of an issue...

I have seen for myself the better growth when plants are directly in the current or when better/more flow was introduced to the tank as a whole.

My glosso did not do as well until I ran a Koralia IV past the bottom and that helped considerably........

You can have one corner or section of the tank saturated with c02 and nutes because the scaping and flow direction all push it into one corner. Plants there are great, but the rest of the tank sees poor growth in comparison.

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Well, thank you for your tips Gautam, I will try that in replanting them.

About Co2, my checker is completely on the opposite side of the water outflow (where Co2 is coming from) and probably it is located where the current is lowest. Glossostigma is located right in the middle of the current (I can see some of the tiny bubbles brought by the current passing right through the Glossostigma). I don't think that's an issue in my case. I think the main cause is probably the lack of light on that particular area.

Anyway, I will see how the removing of the big Amazon Sword leaves works, I will replant the tallest Glosso in an angular fashion (as suggested), then I will see what to do further to improve the situation (if needed of course).

Thank you again very much.

Fab.

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
Hi Fab,

if nothing seems to help try upping traces a good deal. And I really mean a lot more, try doubling. I suppose Glosso needs high trace amounts in the water column.

Also, as Tom pointed out recently Glosso can grow in amazingly "low" light areas but it tends to grow upwards when it senses shading from surrounding plants or when growth has become very dense.

Best regards,
Detlef

bibbels

Prolific Poster
Aug 16, 2008
I must disagree on the Glosso needing more light, as in more wattage. However, as others have stated, make sure the Glosso isn't being shaded by other plants - it seems to be particularly sensitive to this IME.

Making sure CO2, nutrients, and flow are adequate is always good advice.

I would trim the Glosso to where only 2 leaves are above the substrate. After a few low haircuts like this it will usually stay low and send new growth horizontally.

HTH

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
detlef;32846 said:
Hi Fab,

if nothing seems to help try upping traces a good deal. And I really mean a lot more, try doubling. I suppose Glosso needs high trace amounts in the water column.

Also, as Tom pointed out recently Glosso can grow in amazingly "low" light areas but it tends to grow upwards when it senses shading from surrounding plants or when growth has become very dense.

Best regards,
Detlef

Thanks Detlef, for "trace" do you mean the Seachem's trace elements fertilizer? Please, let me know.

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
bibbels;32854 said:
I must disagree on the Glosso needing more light, as in more wattage. However, as others have stated, make sure the Glosso isn't being shaded by other plants - it seems to be particularly sensitive to this IME.

Making sure CO2, nutrients, and flow are adequate is always good advice.

I would trim the Glosso to where only 2 leaves are above the substrate. After a few low haircuts like this it will usually stay low and send new growth horizontally.

HTH

Thank you Bibbels, I will do that. What do you mean with "IME" though?

Thank you again very much.

Fab.

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
Hi Fab,

I was talking about a trace element mix from any renowned company. Seachem is certainly one of them. Tropica being another for example.

See also for a sticky of common abbreviations in forum

Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here --> All those terms, acronyms and
definitions

Good luck and regards,
Detlef

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
bibbels;32854 said:

HTH

Well, I replanted them as suggested, but after 5 days they still grow tall... maybe I misunderstood something: do you suggest to trim the top part then leave the bottom inside the substrate, or to discard the bottom and just replant the top? In other words, where the new horizontally growth should come from? From the replanted tops or from the bottoms? This question may probably sound stupid...

Thank you!

Fab.

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
Fab,

you can either trim glosso "to the bone" where only the roots and few leaves are left in place (which is trimming the top part). It will take about two weeks for the plant to recover if conditions are in good shape.

Or you take glosso completely out of your tank and replant single plantlets complete with roots and leaves (there usually are two leaves per plantlet).

Best regards,
Detlef

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
Fab,

I just realized that you are using some sort of substrate (is it plain gravel?) with poor characteristics for Glosso to grow well. Pebbles seem too coarse which is likely one of the main reasons why it does not want to grow horizontally for you. Also, like most other plants Gloss does much better with nutrients in both locations the water column and via roots.

If it will not stay down for you try something like ADA Amazonia or Elos terra.

Best regards,
Detlef