Glosso Troubles...

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
I've kept glosso through tons of different conditions now. Low and high light, low and high CO2, good ferts and neglect. It seems to want to grow straight up rather than creeping no matter what I try. Only method so far has been to re-plant the tops. Any suggestions?

-Philosophos

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
How far away from the light source are they?

I have the same issue with c02/good light, with a 24" tall tank and then the lights 20" above the surface. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but just sharing info.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
On the substrate of a 20 gal; 15 inches on average, plus glosso height. Substrate is eco-complete, lighting is 65w CF moved towards the front of the tank just for the glosso and HC.

-Philosophos

TheKillHaa

Prolific Poster
Oct 31, 2007
light has nothing to do with glosso or other plant growing "vertical" instead of horizontal...
i been kept glosso on full sun directly, submersed on flourite, most of the times grow as carpet, but recently start growing tall, very. in other tank, interconected, growed as carpet.

im same situation as you, finally, i dont really know why under very similar situations, glosso started to grow upwards.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I've seen Gloss grow very short/flat at the same height from a 15 w, under the table FL light, it was a 1/2 20 gallon, basically the same front panel, just 6" front to back.

Grew very well.

So it's not the light.
It just grows faster with more.

The vert growth is likely due to shading by other plants. It's a creeping plant also, so it will use the height to climb over obstacles. If you do a blackout or sudden light change, it will also respond that way.

Shading by stem plants will also do this.

Those are known reasons.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
So light transitions then... looks like I'll have to keep a couple plants trimmed back a bit better. Thanks for the information, I'll see how it goes, and update this thread when the results are in.

-Philosophos

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
I think Gloss can sense different light colours very well. If it grows in the shadow of driftwood it tends to go up as it does when shaded by certain other plants. I also notice when shaded by green plants like E. acicularis it keeps growing horizontally. It can even kill the grass by occupying the available space entirely.

Q: Does anyone here grow Gloss horizontally in yellowish light, say 3 to 4000K ?

Best regards,
Detlef

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
I find the glosso I've got is frequently trying to push in to H. micranthemoides, but it does so while growing straight up. It chains while coming up off the substrate, in very long stems.

-Philosophos

Panda

Guru Class Expert
Jun 14, 2008
Puerto Rico
I used to have a 10g full of glosso as a nice carpet. A few months ago tried it again and had the same trouble (vertical).
The only different thing I did the last time is that I bought it potted. The glosso reached like 6 or more inches and I could never "train it" to grow as a carpet.... lost the patience :(

TheKillHaa

Prolific Poster
Oct 31, 2007
glossteki.jpg

this glosso was the one under the sun, submerged, bubbled so much, that went on float, now is growing as floater plant, with 12" x 18" and roots of 6" deep in water. consumes industrial quantities of Kno3,, jejje..

Saludos!