Glosso, not growing horizontal

Green Thumb Aquatics

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2011
has anyone had issues getting Glosso to grow horizontal, instead of vertical?

originally when I put glosso in my tank, I had less lighting and less CO2, it grew perfectly horizontal

I let it go in a holding tank floating for a long time with low light and no CO2, when I planted it again, it would not grow horizontal

I just bought some emersed, it seems like it does not want to grow horizontal again

its just starting out, but its sending plants vertical, and I see no horizontal growth

I kept this in another tank 5 gallon, plenty of CO2 and 36w of PC lighting... plenty to grow horizontal, I had it in there for maybe 5 months and it only grew like a stem plant, it was also grown with HC, Marsilea, dwarf hydrocotyle, all nice horizontal growth on those plants, but could not get the glosso to grow horizontal...

I even took out the fish, really cranked the CO2, and bumped the lighting up to 56 watts, for about a month, but still could not get horizontal growth...

I am afraid this is going to happen again with this new glosso...

CO2 is adiquate, along with light 4x 65w PC coralife... I get really low growth that hugs the substrate tightly with my dwarf hydrocotyle again in my 75 that I just planted Glosso in...

really hope I am just being impatient

it also seems a little that way in the 10 gallon I planted it emersed in, that tank has UP aquasoil, the submersed 75 gallon has flourish...

Green Thumb Aquatics

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LivezJMN3rA&feature=related

there is youtube video of tank before, it had same lighting, same CO2, ferts have been increased since then except for Iron

but this is also happening in an emersed tank, only upward growth, no horizontal....

lighting in the emersed is 36w 6700k, on a 10 gallon...

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7479-Glosso-growing-upward-never-had-this-problem-before

found this thread althought no one came to a decision as to what exactly was the cause, tried to PM person but have not heard back

also tank has alot more flow on it since then... that was only with around 600 gph, now tank has well over 1000 gph of total flow...

so same lights, more CO2, more flow, more ferts except Iron, WTF???? help if you can.... this is really frustrating me...

Green Thumb Aquatics

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2011
DSCN6463_01.jpg

tried the light thing before, all I got out of it was algae, this is a total of 56 watts on a 5 gallon I had the same issue on, this was actually the first time I had the issue, now its happening again : (

260 watts on a 75 gallon is alot.... I will try adding another 28 watts of t5 NO on that side just to try it as I dont wanna dismiss any advice, without trying it first

BTW, here is a video of that 5 gallon right after being fully planted, the goal was to get the foreground plants established while I was waiting for my plant order, most of the plants are still in their emersed form...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzl9beylQTk&feature=email&email=comment_received

and this is the tank later on after taking away some of the light and lowering the CO2, it was still able to grow HC great along with anything else in tank.. just that glosso gave me probs.... you can actually see a piece of glosso on the left, growing like a stem plant, I wanted to see if a left a little in there if eventually it would get horizontal growth..

DSCN8003_01-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Well, actually your light is really strong... I was wondering if it's a lack of nutrients in the substrate that may have been depleted after a while... Hard to find out, I understand your frustration!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Just trim it good and few times and (it should) it'll start to behave.