This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Glosso Growth

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Gerryd, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:13 PM
    Hey all,

I recently planted some glosso and was wondering if it will stay closer to the ground. When I planted it, it grew upright for a couple of weeks and is now sending out multiple runners that stay closer to the ground.

Here is a link to some pics:

gerrydirish/Glosso Growth - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Questions:

1. How can I keep it closer to the ground?

2. If I trim the taller bunches closer to the substrate, will they again get taller? Some bunches are 3-4" tall.

I have let it be as I am curious as to how it will grow 'naturally' without any pruning.

Any tips or advice is appreciated.

I have never had glosso before and it seems to be doing well.

2. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Gerry,

1. The higher the light, the closer to the ground. I know you have a high light tank, but perhaps there is something above blocking the light slightly? The runners you have were typical of glosso in my EI tank.

2. I don't think trimmed glosso branches re-sprout (but they may put out runners), but trimming will allow other runners to easily grow back over the area. Assuming nothing is blocking light above, I believe you will achieve your goal of lower growing glosso. My glosso always stayed very low, like 1/2" or so.

For me personally, glosso was a little too much of a weed for my tank, but mine was very high light, like 3 wpg. After a short while (couple of months), my glosso had grown back over itself several times and created a 4 - 6" turf. I think my many runners were growing 1 - 2" per day. Damn stuff basically took over my tank. I never really figured out a good technique for pruning it to keep in low, so I yanked it all out! Hopefully, your light is lower and you will have better luck. Looking back, I probably should have tried cutting off the heads of the runners to try to slow things down.

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    We are a funny bunch! We struggle to make our plants grow nice and healthy, add lots of light to make them grow fast. Then complain because they grow too fast. I'm a classic example of that. Right now my crypts just grow too darn fast.

4. inkslinger

inkslinger Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hey Gerryd what kind of substrate do you have? It looks like Eco Complete , How much did it take to fill your tank. I have SMS and I would like to replace it with Eco, I think 12 bags for a 60x18x24? what do you think too much?

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Gloss is sensitive to shading from other plants, much more than growing low under lower light...........

It grows much more manageable under low light.
    Trimming, this requires good skill to keep it under control.
    Keep it no more than 2 leaves deep, do not allow it to get 2" deep etc.
    1/2" is better.

You can allow it to get thick, then trim to the bone but do not uproot.

The ADA 180 cm tank that won 20th place uses low light(40micromols), but few things block the light. HC, tenellus all grew fine in that tank also......

All get weedy. That's part of the deal, this is a gardening hobby as well.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

6. tedr108

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Any chance of glosso growing in a non-CO2 tank? I mean a non-CO2 without Excel -- just doing occasional low-level macros and micros. I figure NOT, but just thought I'd ask. Honestly, I didn't think glosso would grow in such low light as in the ADA tank that Tom mentioned. But, no doubt the ADA tank gets Excel-type fertilizer.

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Gloss does grow in non CO2 tanks, did this about 8 years ago at y sister's non CO2 tank.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

8. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hey all,

Thanks for the replies. Some responses in order:

Ted,

I have 80-110 micromoles where the glosso is growing. At least 90 where the glosso is highest.

Vaughn,

I agree we are pretty funny (wierd I think is the word). Was I complaining? You will know if I am lol

Acutally I am very happy it is growing quickly and w/o algae of any kind. Couldn't do that before.......thanks to this forum and it's members..........

You should be happy for your crypts as you proved they are not 'slow growers' as many seem to think just because they can do with LESS light than others........

Inkslinger,

That is black flourite not EC. I used 14 bags to fill my 72x24x24 but could have gotten away with 1 or 2 bags less. Really depends on how deep you want it. I went 1" in the front and about 3 max in the back and sides where the stems are.

Tom,

No shading at all where it is planted. Thanks for the trimming tips, which is what I was after.........

I feel more confident trimming it now that I know I can even grow it lol

Now that I can grow plants and no algae, I can now concentrate on lowering the light levels by raising the lights a bit at a time until they slow down a bit! I have to trim every 7-10 days max.

Thanks again to all!

9. tedr108

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Gerry, I liked this:

Those PAR meters really take us to a whole new level (of science), huh? :)

10. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hey Ted,

Yeah I have to admit it was nice typing that type of answer....instead of my usual, I 'THINK' I have X or Y lol

It does add a nice new level set once we can get off wpg and into PAR.

It will be great as PAR meters get more distribution and use and we start to accumulate data using them.

Once we are all on the same page Tom can further his goal of world wide FW planted tank domination :)

Once we can find/develop a c02 meter that is inexpensive and accurate, we will really be getting somewhere......... I think that if I may buy the $2K c02 meter for myself as I am really getting curious about this and would like to give something back for all of the help that I have received. Plus, it would be a lot of fun to play with. I learned a lot just playing with my PAR meter. I am arranging with the LFS to bring it by, as they have several different fixtures in use and it would be interesting to see what PAR they have for the FW as well as the coral tanks...........

Will take a while to gather the info, but think it will be very interesting............

Tom, maybe we can start a scientific research fund to help you in your endeavors...........I figure we all owe you a bit for your hard work and advocacy of better methods and testing........