This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Glass-Holes Overflow w/second floater sump

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Farmhand, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Farmhand

Farmhand Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    10:48 PM
    I have a project in mind to mount a Glass-Holes Super Nano Overflow kit on a 20 tall. The sump would be a 10 gallon with foam block. Also thinking I would loop some pump water back into a second 10 gallon sump to grow floaters and siphon back into the 1st sump. My reason for the floater tank/sump would be to add fast growing plants to the system with easy maintenance. If the system works I have a 30 gallon rimless I would like to upgrade to. I have a nice Co2 rig or could just use Excel ( if too much Co2 loss.)
    -Any feedback regarding Glass-Holes overflow?
    -The second sump growing floaters? Two 10’s are cheap.
    Any ideas comments appreciated.
    Thanks

2. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:48 AM
    I have a Glass-Holes (I hate saying the name, it was funny at first, but. . .) overflow, it works fine. You may have to play with it to get it silent, but it can be made to be totally quiet.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Glass-Holes (I hate saying the name, it was funny at first, but. . .) overflow, it works fine. You may have to play with it to get it silent, but it can be made to be totally quiet.

3. AaronT

AaronT Member

Local Time:
    Cheap or not it sounds overly complicated. I would just stick with the one 10 gallon sump and be done with it. :)

4. Farmhand

Farmhand Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I guess you could say "it's one Bad A.. overflow"

Part of the reason I like aquariums is I've always just liked playing in the water. But I think your right about the extra 10 tank being a bad idea. Maybe one 20 long tank instead because this whole thing is an experiment for me. I would like to try the floaters in the same system. Maybe run them on higher light to get faster growth while running low light in the main tank. Surely someone has tried this before.

5. AaronT

AaronT Member

Local Time:
    I still think you're better off not bothering with the refugium part. You'll get more benefit from using good biomedia and lots of it. The plants will only uptake nutrients, but do not provide beneficial bacteria that serve a lot of other good purposes such as breaking down organics, etc...

If you really want a refugium do it because you want a place to raise fry or baby shrimp. :)

6. Farmhand

Farmhand Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I want to be careful quoting but here is one from Tom Barr if I may;
    "Good healthy plants are a key to getting rid of algae." I've heard him say this sort of thing many times so I have come to the conclusion (maybe misguided on my part) that some fast growing floaters would help win the war with algae. My thought was to sick them in the sump, provide extra light and would be easy to harvest. Meanwhile, lower the lights in the main tank. I'm learning with this discussion.

7. AaronT

AaronT Member

Local Time:
    I think Tom would agree that good clean water is the key to winning the battle against algae. Of course, it's not ever really just one thing.

8. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:

Won't you get algae in the second sump?

If you have an idea, try it and report back-you may find something good.