giesemann T5

yme

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2005
yup, thing are going great! just broke 2 of my philips T5....
luckily I got some old spare lamps of a different culour, so no problem immediately. but I do need to get some new bulbs.

browsing the internet, I saw a lot of nice tanks with giesemann T5 bulbs. would you recommend these bulbs? I guess the combination aquaflora/midday. do they have a nice PAR value?

In terms of colour, I like a bit more blue than yellow. also I would like to bring out the reds as much as possible.

would these bulbs qualify?

greets,

yme

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
Hi yme,
Giesemann's middays emit full spectrum and are very pleasing to the eye indeed. I'm using these for quite some time now and like a lot how they allow each color to be represented. But while they do promote warmer colours really really well there's a slight drawback in these since they are slightly too yellow for my taste. Therefore I usually combine these with 965 bulbs or even with JBL 9000K t5s in cases where I want a "cooler" look.
Now, if you prefer both nice reds and "a bit more blueish than yellow" you're left in the lurch anyway as you hardly can have both together. Try the midday/965 combo and supposedly you'll be happy as well. But since your taste is absolutely personal nothing and no one can replace testing and your own judgement!

No idea though how aquafloras alone or in conjunction with middays might look like.

Regards, Detlef

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I agree with Detlef's assessment. I'd try those suggestions.

I use 1 AF to 3 Middays.
I like the look, a bit yellow for some, but I'm old school before the days of harsh white crisp.

That and most of the water's are yellowish or clear I'm in swimming in natural systems.

Either way, you will be more happy with the aesthetics and performance both from the present look.

Tom Barr

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
I'll be replacing my T5s at the end of this year and I am definitely going to get the Giesemann. I need 2 54w and 2 36w and I will keep looking to see if I can get them on sale somewhere, if I am lucky. So far these are the best prices:
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_39_130

Btw, is there a T5 bulb that is cheaper but almost as good as the Giesemann?
Never mind, I'll get the G now and hope I'll survive my wife"s.........................

1 x Gieseman Aquaflora T5 Lamp 48" 54 Watt (531090) = $20.50
1 x Gieseman Aquaflora T5 Lamp - 36" (531087) = $19.50
1 x Giesemann Midday 48" 54 Watt (531030) = $19.00
1 x Giesemann Midday 36" 39 Watt (531025) = $18.00
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $77.00
FedEx/UPS (FedEx/UPS Home Delivery®): $10.61
Total: $87.61

Last edited by a moderator:

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Just got mine 1/2 an hr ago. My tanks look much much better now. Tom is right about the Gieseman bulbs. They are awesome, worth every penny.

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
It took a little while for me to adapt to the pink light. Currently I have the fixture over two tanks, one definitely has a better positioning so one tank is too far back and gets more of the pink light. The difference between the two tanks is pretty jarring. 3 Middays and 1 AF on at the same time are stunning though. I kept waiting for the fish to slap on sunglasses. I only bought the other two just in case I decide to do the noon burst but otherwise I'll run with 1 MD and the 1 AF. How did you arrange yours? I've got the AF as the front lamp with the MD lamps behind it. Only the outside lamps are normally lit.

-
S

Neil Frank

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2008
detlef;45768 said:
Hi yme,
Therefore I usually combine these with 965 bulbs or even with JBL 9000K t5s in cases where I want a "cooler" look.
Regards, Detlef

what are the "965 bulbs?" Do you have a link or suggested vendor? Just curious. My midday G's are now 14 mos old and i should start thinking about replacements. .... or at least rotating the center ones to the outside. :) i have been pleased with the middays, and will like just stick with them... or perhaps try one AF.

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
Hi Neil,

have a look here, these are called LUMILUX DE LUXE by Osram, pls go to page #2 www.osram.de/_global/pdf/Professional/General_Lighting/Fluorescent_lamps/103R001XX.pdf
and here www.servicelighting.com/Osram-823775-FQ-24W-965-HO-FHS1-Straight-T5-Fluorescent-Tube
and here, Philips named these simple and short :) MASTER TL5 HO 90 De Luxe/965 www.prismaecat.lighting.philips.com...f48a/MASTER_TL5_HO_90_De_Luxe_49W_965_1SL.pdf

As you can see 965 color temps are available from both Osram and Philips but sorry I was unable to find an english speaking link for the Philips bulb in question. The Midday/965 combo is hard to beat if you prefer a fresh, accurate and vivid look being a little cooler than middays alone. If on the other hand you prefer more warmth then 950/954s is the way to go IMO. These are all full spectrum bulbs by the way with very high CRI/Ra up to 98 for the 950 "color proof" version.

Best regards, Detlef

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
barbarossa4122;62292 said:
Hi,

My Giesemann bulbs will be one year old at the end of this week. Do I need to purchase new ones ?

No, not likely till they die