Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Why are you interested in reducing weed growth for aquariums?

They do not kill the weed, so ........why bother for ag purposes?

Registration is a huge issue and broad based application is another issue(ag crops etc).

Regards,
Tom Barr

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009

wilsar

Prolific Poster
Jan 10, 2009
ive read somewhere that finishing the "days" light cycle with the longer red wavelength type light will increase leaf length and cause plants to "spread" quicker. cant remember where i read it, so i cant substantiate this at all.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
"Registration" for weed control in water ways, pesticide regulation basically.

I've used it many times, and so has Dr Kane at UF, a personal friend. I repeated the same study he did and found similar results.

Adding Gibs to aquatics has not done anything as far a vegetative growth, it's used mostly to enhance grapes and some ag crops. It does not help denser growth of plants.

A simple practical matter: add Gibs and see for yourself. Result was no increase in denser, fuller growth for a very wide range of species.
Not one person has to date has shown otherwise, but they like to market and well the crap like it does.

Preys on ignorance basically.

Endogenous vs exogenous hormones are two very different things also.
While they do control some aspects, exogenous application mat have no effect at all, also, breakdown and extremely diluted concentrations cause issues for aquatics that are not present in terrestrial systems.

Marketers would like you to think otherwise.
Adding it does not hurt plants/tank etc, but it does hurt your wallet and little for the 10$ or 20$ per little bottle they sell folks and say to add after trimming(ADA, Azoo etc).

The fact of the matter is that this use has no merit nor can anyone demonstrate they or other hormones help planted tanks.

A product called "Super Thrive" is common at most garden centers, same stuff, much cheap and I've used this also and lab grade hormones individually.

No effect.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
I was reading the other related thread on plant hormones, and thought it was only related to gib. agonists? I didn't see antagonists mentioned, so I figured it'd be worth raising the issue separately.

For now I'll probably toss the concept on the bottom of the pile, since the outlook is skeptical. I don't have the equipment or experience to do accurate dry weight analysis either, otherwise I'd give it a shot. Thanks for the snake oil warning.

-Philosophos