This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Ghost Shrimp vs Algae

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by fosteder, Aug 6, 2005.

1. quenton

quenton Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    12:06 PM
    Re: Ghost Shrimp vs Algae

"Ghost Shrimp vs Algae!"

Should be a movie -- I can picture it now -- a giant ghostly shrimp waving its legs into the camera, and strands of giant hair algae attempting to wrap themselves around the shrimp as they drag each other through the tiny city streets ....

(Oh well, never mind -- maybe its been done before ;) )

2. stcyrwm@adelphia.net

stcyrwm@adelphia.net Prolific Poster

Local Time:

In the movie the algae wins. See:
    HTML:
    http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=ghost+shrimp&word2=algae

:gw

3. shake

shake Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:

I don't think so, but worth checking. Our quarrantine laws are so strict that it's virtually impossible to import any live animal into the country unless you're a zoo or have an licence to import animals. Even then there are strict restrictions.

It's even hard to bring in aquarium plants.

4. vidiots

vidiots Prolific Poster

Local Time:

I could have sworn I saw the Ammano Shrimp in "Tri City Aquarium" in Somersworth, NH several months ago. I didn't get any at the time but wish I had. A couple weeks ago I went back looking for some and all they had were Ghost Shrimp. They've told me in the past that if they don't have what I'm looking for they can probably get it. I'm just a bit impatient. You are quite right about the LFS being very limited. I get a large percentage of the things I need online because of it.

I live in Wakefield, NH, so no pet stores are local to me, however I do go to the 2 in Rochester and 1 in Somersworth from time to time.

If you are ever interested in trading excess plants or fish some time since the local selection is so limited send me an e-mail: vidiots@adelphia.net.

I work in Mass, so I have to drive by Rochester on the weekdays anyway besides it's only about a 25min drive from here.

5. richr

richr Junior Poster

Local Time:
    re: Shrimp movies

I have a short video of a Singapore Wood Shrimp I used to have; you can see it here:

http://bcdef.com/woodshrimp.mov

(5 Mb and requires QuickTime).

On the subject of wood shrimp, those of you that have had them for a long time: what do you feed them, and what kind of water flow in the tank(s)?

Rich

6. stcyrwm@adelphia.net

stcyrwm@adelphia.net Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Re: Shrimp movies

I've had mine a little less than a year and don't feed them anything beyond what I feed the fish. For current I have a 55g tank with 2 Hot Magnums which I think are rated at 250 gph so I have a petty steady flow. I like them and my Atya Gabonensis too.

7. nursie

nursie Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I started my own shrimp breeding farm in a 10 gallon with the goal to be able to supply my own tanks with a replaceable supply of cherry shrimp.
    there is a guy over on Aquariacentral and on Aquariumboard by the name of Beviking that sells them. I believe it's currently 12 for $25 shipped. He usually throws in a few extras too. Nice guy, pleasure to deal with. SHips well packed, and promptly. If over the cold months..he provides a heat pack.

8. Professor Myers

Professor Myers Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Amanos are #1

I keep several species of shrimp including but not limited to Amano, Ghost, Brazilian Grass, Cherry, Red Nosed, Rainbow, Bumble Bee, Tiger, Snowflake shrimp etc.. The most industrious are the Ghost, Red Nosed, Cherries, Rainbows, and Amano's in that specific order. BUT ! The most "Effective" algae shrimp tend to be the Amano's. They tend to be Hyper, and Ravenous in their persuit of algae. The other tend to stay busy but focus on specific areas in greater detail while the Amano's run circles around them. The Brazilian Grass shrimp come close to their level of activity, but not quite.

The results speak for themself, but they all have a place in planted communities. HTH. Prof M

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Amano shrimp are the only ones that seem to do much to algae.
    The rest are lazy.

I'm going to try out the Garra panda's soon.
    They look nice and I know the other species will mow algae fairly well and your dry skin:)

Regards,
    Tom Barr

10. Professor Myers

Professor Myers Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Garra panda's

Garra panda's ? Que :confused: