This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

gH/kH

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by scoupland, Sep 16, 2012.

1. scoupland

scoupland Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:41 PM
    I'm just starting a planted tank. I tested my unfiltered water and the gH = 11 and the kH = 9. A friend in the area said he runs his water through carbon and sediment filters (75%) and or carbon, sediment, and R/O filters (25%). Is that a good strategy? I guess I can play around with mixing tap and filtered water but what should my target gH and kH be? Maybe not an exact point but an acceptable range. This is not a discus tank.

Scott

2. drhemlock2

drhemlock2 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    i am putting together a 75 gallon planted tank and i have the same questions i know that you need to know what fish you will be keeping as well as low light and or high light requiring plants. i have tested my water here after getting a report from the local water company which by the way is a good idea. and my KH is 13 and my GH is 243 i would assume mgl. i would get the info from the water company and be sure to ask them about General hardness i forgot and had to recall them. then test your water with a good test kit i use API master test kit and got the KH/GH Api test kit just to make sure they were all the same.
    doc

3. mi5haha

mi5haha Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    GH11 is OK for raising many ordinary species. KH9 will be difficult for Co2 to lower down PH.

Usually when GH is 11, KH is around 5 only.

4. scoupland

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I haven't made a final decision on specific fish, but will likely have tetras of some sort, and maybe a couple of rams. For lighting I have two 48" TrueLumen Pro LED strips, so I don't know what to call that in terms of intensity. The values I got for GH/KH were from using API test kits. I will be running CO2.

In looking at contest tanks a lot have readings of KH = 3 and GH = 5. Maybe that is what I should shoot for in mixing tap and RO water. I have however seen some contest tanks with values around KH = 10 and GH = 12.

5. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    That is because they frequently use very demanding plant species that require soft water. There are a lot of plants which will be ok with the values you have.

6. scoupland

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I contacted my water department and they said the water measurements range from GH=7.3 to 8.4, KH=7.7 to 9.0, and pH=7.4-8.0. My API measurements were GH=11 and KH=9.

Dutchy--I guess I need to decide on what plants I want to use before I decide to mix my tap water with R/O. Is it that simple? Will plants grow better in general if I soften the water? For example, if I mixed in R/O and dropped the GH to 5 and KH to 3 would that in general create a better environment for plant growth, or is it dependent on the needs of the species of plants?

7. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Your testset might not be accurate, or the water department is out of range. assuming you're using CO2, GH 5 and KH 3 will grow every plant, if you want to do the extra effort that RO brings. My tank has KH 6 and GH 8, and I can grow every plant except for some sensitive soft water plants like Erios etc. But these are just a few species. If you want to grow these plants, RO is needed. If not, you can save yourself the $$ and the trouble.

It's a choice.

8. scoupland

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I said my test kits were API but they were actually Sera, and I just go them. It is my understanding if you use the EI fertilization method, you don't need to test the water. But, I am just starting and want to know what I am starting with. Are there certain test kits that are more reliable?

Are there any websites that are reliable resources for plant info, especially GH/KH requirements for plants?