This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

GH Booster with MGSO4, K2SO4 and..... eggshells?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by easternlethal, Mar 6, 2016.

1. easternlethal

easternlethal Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:50 PM
    I have no cacl or caso4 and read that eggshells are a good source of calcium but have no idea how much to add to my formula.

I have a 50 gallon and tried experimenting by adding a crushed eggshell in a few weeks ago and it's still there, so I'm wondering whether it just takes too long to dissolve... My water is already quite soft and has an average of 13mg/L in it according to my government water report.

Would anyone care to propose how I can incorporate it into a GH formula?

#1 easternlethal, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2016
  2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Calcium in egg shell is bound pretty tight and can take years to mineralize. There will also be some proteins that contribute to organic load - bad idea. Move on to other more bioavailable calcium. Limey stones, rocks, and coral etc. are better 'holistic' choices.

3. Kathy Yata

Kathy Yata Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I used eggshell for my elderly ill dog's homecooked food for a while. Only stopped because it has a tiny bit of phosphorus and I preferred to have phosphorus in meat protein as she was very limited in the amount of phosphorus allowed as she suffered from kidney failure. If you peel the inner membrane off then it is nearly pure calcium carbonate. I pulverized the eggshell into a fine powder with a clean coffee grinder or mortar and pestle and she clearly absorbed that calcium just fine.. 1 teaspoon of eggshell is about 900mg of elemental calcium. The NOW brand calcium carbonate I bought to supplement my dog's food after giving up eggshell use dissolves very poorly in the aquarium water and one would suspect eggshell would be even worse due to larger particle size. Peeling that membrane would be very tedious and you would need to be much cleaner in the pulverizing process than I had to be. I wouldn't want to save a couple bucks by spending a couple hours on this.

I believe gypsum or plastic of paris is CaSO4, another calcium source you may have available. Of course research to be sure your product is just that with no additions!

4. Julia Adkins

Julia Adkins aquariumfertilizer.com
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Eggshells will dissolve in vinegar easily but that is quite acidic. Adding a small amount of vinegar (1 tsp) to calcium compound solution helps dissolve the calcium and will not hurt the fish or other critters in the tank. Calcium sulfate is very cheaply available as gypsum ($5 or less for a 25 lb bag) from Home Depot or the like. Calcium carbonate with magnesium is available as dolomite. Plants like the magnesium which is used for root development, blooming, green color and bushiness. Calcium is important not only for water conditioning but also cell wall structure of plants.