getting really cheesed off now

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
I don't think the saga ever really ends. :) That's the frustration and the fun, always new mountains to climb. Major thing to check for bba is co2...I have that frustration myself, diy co2 is hard to keep stable. I just started turning things around after a close eye on the drop checker for two weeks and some selective plant bleaching...now I'm getting thread algae instead. :)

nickmcmechan

Prolific Poster
Mar 15, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
thanks, i upped the co2 and the beard algae didn't get any worse. mind you it didn't get any better

i know the co2 wil help, but will it reverse it?

starting to see some green dust algae as well

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
No, once bba is there it basically has to be manually removed, or killed with a bleach dip. Pruning is the best way to get it off of badly infested plants, but if an entire plant is covered, a bleach dip may be the only way to save it (1:20 ratio of bleach to water, dip leaves only for 3 - 5 minutes). In my experience, nothing will eat it unless it dies. Do you have any algae eating fish to help with the green dust? Is it on the plants, or other surfaces?

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
Having dealt with bba...the only real tried and true solution that worked for me is massive pruning, bleaching, and upping co2. Like I said once it's there, it won't go away unless you take it out. Reducing light will also reduce how quickly it grows, as it will with any algae, but won't fix the problem.

nickmcmechan

Prolific Poster
Mar 15, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
thanks, just performed the bleach dip - instant difference in the plants - wow!

have upped the co2 too

also, modified an internal filter for better distribution and dissolution of co2 around the tank (basically put the glass diffuser inside an internal filter and topped off with bio media)

thanks, will let you know how ot goes

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
Sounds like you did the right thing. Also make sure to check all your hardscape/filter tubes etc. for bba. That has to be bleached too. The filter intake and heater were the two biggest strongholds for bba in my tank, in fact if I had removed it from there quicker, it may never have spread to the plants.

Footprint

Junior Poster
Jun 12, 2008
Hi I'm a new member just read about your problem with sword plants you mention filtering with peat. What I'm thinking this stains the water cutting down your light levels, any bogwood will add to this staining. Your daily use of Excel will probably not help in the long term as the underlying problem of what caused it to be there in the first place still exists so learning what your algae needs to grow in the first place may be useful to know. These plants need a little time to settle when first planted and are often slow to produce new leaves at the start while they establish their root system and what a root system they have. Disturbing the new root growth by replacing your substrate might not have helped they dislike being moved and transplanted.