This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Ready to flood my tank

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by mike, Aug 29, 2012.

1. mike

mike Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    9:09 PM
    Hi all, I had posed this in another thread but got no responces. I'm hoping to have a few questions answered before I add water.

I'm at the 9th week of my dry start and I will be flooding my tank, possibly this weekend, and I want to confirm a few things in order to avoid any problems.

To start I will not be putting any fish in the tank for about 3 to 4 weeks. Until I put fish in the tank I will be keeping the CO2 above 50ppm by using a 5dkh solution and making sure it’s always yellow, in fact even aiming for it to be yellow before the lights come on.

I will be adding Excel, about ½ the dose, 30 minutes before lights on. I will have some Vals in the tank, should I worry about them melting with the Excel that I will be adding?

It’s my understanding with a soil substraight there will still be high levels of micros and macros even after an 8 week dry start and that I should be doing an 80% water change every 2nd or 3rd day for about 2 weeks. During this time should I be dosing anything in terms of micros or macros?

I have also read that during the first 2 weeks I should slowly ramp up my lighting from a 3 hour lighting period to an 8 hour period. Is this correct?

When I start dosing I will be dosing the following.

I will make a 500ml macro solution of the following and dosing 50mls of it 3x a week:
    57.86g of KNO3 to give me about 7.5ppm of NO3 for each 50ml dose
    6.78 of KH2PO4 to give me about 1ppm of PO4 for each 50ml dose

I will also make a 500ml micro solution and dose 50mls 3 x a week:
    36.23g of CSM+B will give me about .5ppm of iron for each 50ml dose

Please let me know if I should be adding more or less of the above. Also, what is the best way to prevent mold from developing in the micro and macro bottles? I have heard of people using Excel but how much do I put?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Mike

2. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I haven't really done this before, so I can't really help. What I can tell you is that much of excel shouldn't hurt your plants. If you are going to keep your CO2 that high, why would you add the excel? I would just go with the high CO2 before you add fish and not worry about excel unless you have a bba problem.

How big is the tank? I would imagine you need to dose the tank. Which substrate did you use? Unless its ADA stuff or something of that sort, I would dose ferts. Florite is inert and Eco complete, to my understanding, has a small amount of ferts in it.

So answering those two questions will give us a better understanding of what you're looking for.

One more thing, most on here don't use drop checkers anymore. They are too unreliable and vary. Use a pH meter to check to see how low it goes. If you are in the 6.2-6.6 range, I'd say you are ok with CO2. You can also use your CO2 and KH to cross reference how high your ppm of CO2. There is a chart for that.

Here is a link for that.... http://www.aquariumslife.com/aquascaping/fertilizers-and-co2/aquarium_co2_tes/

Hope this helps

3. mike

mike Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hi Jerry,

I should have added the link to my original thread which had my tank parameters (http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/10327-My-125G-Build-Finally-started)

It's a 125G tank with soil substraight capped with black sand. I have heard that with the soil the micros and macros can be quite high even after an 8 week dry start.

The lighting is a combination of 2 x 54W T5HOs (one in the front and one in the back on is going left to right and the other right to left) and 2 36 inch fixtures down the middle (1 is a dual 39W T5HO and the other is a 96W CF from AHS). The plan is to have the ones down the middle on for no more than 4 to 5 hours a day and the ones in the front and back will be on for about 8 hours. I'm wondering though if I should slowly ramp up the lighting starting with 3 hours and work my way up to my 8 hour goal?

Thank you for the drop checker info. I will look into getting a PH meter. I have an existing 33G with pressurized CO2 that normally has a PH of 6.4.

Mike