This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Getting dry ferts into the tank?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by Davejt, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Davejt

Davejt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:53 PM
    So as I complete my move from Seachem to DIY Dry dosing I initially felt I would be mixing up solutions of the stuff and dosing via a little dripper I had set up just like I was with the SeaChem Products.

However I am finding that some of the dry stuff doesn't go/stay in solution very well, it clogs my dripper, stuff grows in it, blah blah yuchh!

So then I see Mr Barr just dumps it in dry, perhaps a little messy oh well.... But my fish seem to think all of the stuff floating around is food and keep trying to eat it.

While it sounds like many are using the dry dump method with no ill's it makes me a little bit nervous. So I am thinking of getting a little tiny HOB filter and using it to dump in the dry stuff and let it dissolve mix and pump into the tank that way.

Comments?

2. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You could get a cup or glass of tank water, add the dry chemicals and mix, then pour.

3. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    As Left C said, premix. It's dangerous not to.

If you want a hand with mixing stock solutions in a little bit more of a stable way, you can message me.

4. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I mix dry ferts in my water change and top off water and pour it in. I've added it dry in the past but the fish would try to eat it. After they would get a taste, they would spit it out. None of my fish suffered from it but, it was nerve racking.