This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Back Into Fw Planted Tank

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mustang Man, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Mustang Man

Mustang Man New Member

Local Time:
    9:57 AM
    Years ago I had a couple different FW planted tanks of varying levels of success. I left the FW world when I got into SW tanks which I've kept on and off for years now. I decided to dip my toes back into FW with a Walstad method bowl, appears to hold 2.5-3g will verify soon. I picked up the bowl today, while hitting several stores looking for a lamp that would work found this bowl that is at least twice the size of the bowl I was going to use, I also picked up a desk lamp and had a PAR16 LED bulb stashed away in a closet, it is 325 lumen hope that is enough if not I found many options up to 800+ lumens at stores.

I picked up a piece of drift wood years ago that fit the previous bowl perfectly, I've had it soaking for the last few days to get the tannins out of it, with the new bowl being so much bigger I might pick up a couple rocks too. I also picked up some miracle grow potting soil today and will pick up a cap doe it when it gets closer to time for me to fill the tank, will most likely use sachem flourite because I can find it locally, any other recommendations welcome.

Stocking plans are ppaynts, of course, 2-3 Amano shrimp, some other shrimp(have not decided on which yet depends what is available when the time comes), and 3-5 male endlers.

Tim Harrison likes this.
  2. Mustang Man

Mustang Man New Member

Local Time:
    Also forgot to mention, one of my SW tanks was a planted tank that looked awesome until it started to leak from a back corner and I had to tear it down, I may have pictures somewhere if I can find them I'll post a couple.

3. Mustang Man

Mustang Man New Member

Local Time:
    Decided to check the volume of the bowl today, 3 gallons of water brings the level to just about 1.5in below the rim of the bowl. With substrate, driftwood, and a few rocks the water volume should be around 2.5g at about 1in below the rim. The water volume will be more than double that of my initial bowl I was planning to plant so this works out perfect. The curvature of the bowl really magnifies the contents too, should make the shrimp and fish really large and easy to watch even from across the room.

4. Stix

Stix New Member

Local Time:
    3:57 PM
    Welcome!

5. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:57 PM